Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparrow Hunting

Sparrow Hunting

Hello to everyone!

I am a newbie to this society but I have been hunting small games when I was a boy (Now I am in my mid 50's.).
    Recently the idea of reviving my old hobby has caught my idea after I figured domestic sparrows are schedule C wildlife that can be hunted without a hunting license.

Can anyone suggest me a good area I can shoot an air rifle ( with less than 500 fps muzzle velocity) to hunt them?
    Do I still need $1MM liability insurance to do that in the Fraser Valley area?

Any input will be appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sparrow Hunting

Sparrows huh!! I think you'll find your restricted more by municipal rules that hunting rules.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

English House Sparrows and European Starlings tend to live in cities, where they cant be shot.

In most municipalities you will not be able to fire you air rifle.
    But in the one you might be able to, you will probably have to shoot them on private land and need permission from the land owner.
    If you have friends on farms in the valley you might get lucky. Add crows to that list.
    I would love to be able clean my local park of those pests.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Thanks for the kind attentions and replies! In most area in Peat Meadows discharging firearms is allowed, isn't it? Do I need a liability insurance in case I roam around on a crown land in that area with an air rifle for the purpose of shooting class c wildlife? Those can be more specific questions.

Quote Originally Posted by chummer View Post
    Thanks for the kind attentions and replies! In most area in Peat Meadows discharging firearms is allowed, isn't it? Do I need a liability insurance in case I roam around on a crown land in that area with an air rifle for the purpose of shooting class c wildlife? Those can be more specific questions.
    You should have BCWF membership which gives you insurance and Fraser valley special area license.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife.../FVSAH2012.pdf
    1. Human over population

Quote Originally Posted by chummer View Post
    ***The link says --- FVSAH licences are available from Service BC Offices and selected sporting
    goods stores in the Fraser Valley. Evidence of current one million dollar public
    liability and property damage insurance must be provided to obtain this licence.

***BC Environment Defines --- Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC. Schedule "C" birds may be hunted using electronic calls. You do not need a hunting licence to hunt or kill the following Schedule "C" wildlife:
    (a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
    (b) Rana clamitans - green frog
    (c) all species of the family Chelydridae - snapping turtles
    (d) Didelphis virginiana - North American opossum
    (e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
    (f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
    (g) Myocastor coypus - nutria
    (h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels
    (i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
    (j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling
    (k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic pigeon)

------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I understand the insurance and the license are two different things. Liability insurance is not for the hunting but to cover the possible damage from fire arm.
    The regulation says "You do not need a hunting licence to hunt or kill the following Schedule "C"..." but FVSAH license is a hunting license.

Things are not yet very clear to make myself convinced.
    You are exactly right. Insurance is not about hunting it's about firearms discharge.
    So you can hunt sparrows and kill them without insurance any which way you like, except with a firearm.
    So if you want to discharge a firearm you need the FVSAH. And air rifles are considered a firearm in most municipalities.
    BCWF membership gives you insurance you need to get the FVSAH.
    1. Human over population

adriaticum, thanks for the kind reply and clarification!

Now I understand BCWF membership is the simplest way to get the insurance.

You do NOT need a Fraser Valley Spec hunting lic.or insurance to hunt schedule C animals

Quote Originally Posted by itsy bitsy xj View Post
    You do NOT need a Fraser Valley Spec hunting lic.or insurance to hunt schedule C animals
    Do you mean the insurance is only a requirement for the FVS hunting license, therefore insurance is not necessary where a hunting license is not required?