Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sparrow Hunting

Re: Sparrow Hunting

The low velocity air/pellet rifles are not 'firearms' under the Federal Firearms Act, but are considered firearms under the Provincial Wildlife Act. Although Schedule C creatures do not require a 'hunting licence' you would still be hunting them. I would contact the CO Dept. for some clarification, as opinions vary. Try to get a name from your information source.
    Good luck and happy shooting.

I got more clarification from the CO Dept.
    They were so kind to answer all my questions in detail.
    Thumbs up for them!

Question - Please confirm if I understand correctly : "Even though the wildlife act defines that no hunting license required for schedule C animal, 2 licenses and insurance are still necessary in the Fraser Valley Hunting Area."

You are correct in that a hunting licence is not required for Schedule C wildlife. In addition, a Fraser Valley Special Licence is not required for Schedule C wildlife. However, you are still required to obtain insurance if hunting in the Fraser Valley Special Hunting.

Insurance required
    27 A person other than to whom section 26 applies commits an offence if he or she hunts wildlife in the special area unless the person is the holder of public liability and property damage insurance in the amount of $1 000 000 or more, sold by a licensed insurer in the Province, that covers the hunter while hunting in the Province.”
    "special area" means the Fraser Valley special hunting area comprised of MU 2-4 and those areas within MU 2-8 that are within the corporate limits of The Corporation of The District of Maple Ridge, The Corporation of The District of Pitt Meadows, The District of Mission, and The Corporation of the City of Coquitlam.

Also thanks to everyone having participated on or read this thread!
    All the best,