Thread: 8-10 Grouse

Question 8-10 Grouse

I was curious if anyone has got any grouse in 8-10? I was out with my son last weekend and did not spot a single one. Are they even in the area? Anyone willing to give some pointers on where to look if they are in the area? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by cgizen; 09-17-2014 at 07:07 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 8-10 Grouse

Lots of areas in 8-10 have grouse... where have you been hunting? Try up Joe Rich area?

i got a big one by meldrum creek and thats where 8-10 is
    LIVE 2 HUNT-HUNT 2 LIVE

I was up around beaver lake, dee lake. Got out and hiked a bunch of the old forest service roads did not see anything though.

saw several around Grizzly swamps and Aberdeen on Sat.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

With this hot weather everything seems to still be hiding under the bushes and in the tall grasses. If you cruise the logging roads look for tall mature forest and somewhat near to a water source like a creek. Don't waste your time on roads where the replanted trees are young and tight and concentrate your efforts when the shadows are long ( early morning and late afternoon). Once the leaves drop and the weather cools the birds will be eating more seeds rather than berries and grass and will have to gravel up more so they'll be out on the road more. By now most of the family units have been scattered (unless you're hunting remote areas), but you should be able to limit out on roughies and spruces on any given day. I love chasing the blues, and this is probably as close as you'll get to my secret spots ( they're not in 8-10 anyway). I've also seen a ton of rabbits this year, however they're not as fussy about there neighborhood and they sure can disappear quick.

Thanks for the info guys, every little bit helps.

Find clover. Grouse love clover (=water, or at least dampness) Every one of the spruces I've shot since opening has had a crop full of clover mixed with berries. All were near the mature shady forest Jedcote50 talks about...