Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Me on Ducks and Geese.

School Me on Ducks and Geese.

Ive always wanted to hunt ducks and geese, but I know next to nothing about it around here.

Ive got a Mossberg 500 with a vent rib barrel, and im pretty good at clay pigeons. Ive got a solid pair of waders too, if that matters? and a inflatable row boat?

What are some areas worth looking into around the lower mainland, or region 8?

Whats the best way to identify ducks as they are flying by?

Do I need to buy decoys? Calls? I hunt on a budget.

Do ducks and geese hang in the same areas?

What type of shot size to you prefer, and how do you remove it after?

etc etc... Cheers!
    “The probability of success is difficult to estimate; but if we never search the chance of success is zero.”

2. Site Sponsor

Re: School Me on Ducks and Geese.

Most newbies start in the marshes and around mud bay - with an inflatable row boat I would suggest the Pit polder (safest) get some no 3 or 4 shot for ducks and some BB's for geese. (Pattern your shot gun - google to find out how)

Buy a dozen or so deeks (WSS) and you will be fine - - remember you need three pieces of paper (licenses) to hunt ducks and geese in the frazer valley - make sure that you have all three before going out -- you will bump into others out there - listen and learn from them - soon you too will be an expert - good luck!
    Last edited by Ranger95; 09-17-2014 at 06:34 AM.

As stated above you do need a few licenses. To hunt in the Fraser valley you need your regular hunting license, the migratory game bird stamp and the Fraser valley special area license. For the Fraser valley license, you need to have insurance and proof of it when you buy it.

To hunt ducks on a budget: Get gun and box of shells, walk around marshy area. Duck jumps up, shoot them down.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Remember that you can't use lead shot...so when buying your shells (on the cheap), make sure they are steel pellets.

You can also pass shoot. But gotta know where they are flying lol

How do you guys clean Canada geese, do you just take the breasts or do you pluck the whole goose? What is the best way to cook them, anyone want to share a recipe or two ?

thank you for all the replies, keep em comin! ^^ I second that last comment! I think I would want the whole goose and duck! whats the best way to clean them?
    “The probability of success is difficult to estimate; but if we never search the chance of success is zero.”

Do some door knocking,look for corn and oat fields ,potato fields for late season.
    not that hard if you approach the right way.
    dont over call

Early season there's lots of pin feathers.