Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last minute goats wisdom

Re: Last minute goats wisdom

BCBillies, some solid advice in there, hearing the way you talk about goats also gets me really pumped for this trip! Love the challenge

It should be warm up there this weekend, any other tips for that sort of weather? Would you expect to see goats on south facing slopes still or would they move to north facing slopes? Down in the trees more?

Quote Originally Posted by BCbillies View Post
    A good goat hunt will deem you useless around the house for 5 days following your return!
    Hahaha so true! I killed my first goat last year on a solo day-trip from the house. I could hardly make it up or down the stairs that night and the following couple days I was pretty useless!!! Went out and did it again with a buddy a couple weeks later and gotta say I still love that feeling of accomplishment!

good socks and moleskin just in case. happy feet = happy hunter.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?

Give your hunt details to someone you trust. If you need assistance, the details must be transferred to the search team accurately. In the heat look low. During a full moon goats will travel all night, they will stay put most of the day resting. Within 100yrds a good billy will be obvious, if you have to try and identify billy/nanny, let him grow. Be prepared to retrieve your goat from the nastiest sh#t on the mountain, goats live around these areas because predators will not follow them there, when you shoot them, guess where they're going. Work on your mental toughness, being able to grind it out will often pay off in a sucessful hunt and get you home safely. Take care of your feet, carry some strong soap, when your feet get hot and sweaty, stop, wash them and let them dry, blisters will end a hunt.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by BCbillies View Post
    Be positive throughout the hunt and at the same time anticipate the what-ifs. Pessimism can easily do you in mentally and lead to trouble. Be prepared to spend the night on the side of a mountain.
    The location of goats is highly dependent upon weather conditions and time of year. Fog rolling in and out can greatly assist in a stalk.
    A good goat hunt will deem you useless around the house for 5 days following your return!
    Listen to this man....especially looking at his new avatar pic!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Be prepared to push hard and cut the mental safety net. If you want a goat, go get a goat. It is not supposed to be easy. Also I have noticed they bed between 10am and 2pm generally, lot easier to connect with a bedded goat then a goat on the move. Forget that stuff about horn curvature to differentiate nannies from billies. A billy will have horn mass, usually will be alone or at least there will no kids around (but not always), and will have a noticeably big body size.. Make sure you take a shot in a good place so your goat is retrievable. Enjoy the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Listen to this man....especially looking at his new avatar pic!

SSS

There is a lot of good info to be had from BCbillies that's for sure! I don't know anyone else that has helped pack out more booner goats than him.
    Speaking of avatar pics.... what about yours SSS!?
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Doing some research and thread cruising, starting to prepare for another reg 3 goat hunt this year. Let's revamp this thread with some more knowledge. One tip I found to save my ass was to bandage or tape your feet BEFORE blisters occur. Dont wait until they happen to try to fix the problem. I tape my heels before the hunt starts. Luco tape stays on for about a week without issue.

Great idea! Let's get this thread going.

If you dont have some collapsable hiking poles, highly recommend it. It may be hard on the lungs going up but its murder on the knees coming down, especially with your gear and boned out goat on your back! And be careful. Not much margine for error up where allot of goats live and its too easy to find yourself making bad decisions and taking too many risks that can quickly cost you everything. I say this from experience and its pure luck that Im not dead from a near fall off a cliff edge that I should never have been on during a solo goat trip. Make sure you come home safe. Good luck, goat hunting in addictive!
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-24-2019 at 07:57 PM.