Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last minute goats wisdom

Last minute goats wisdom

Hey guys,

I am headed out this weekend for my first ever goat trip. I have done a ton of reading on here and the web about goat hunting but I thought I would reach out and see if there was any last minute wisdom on HBC that may help me out this weekend. I have studied all the quizzes on how to identify billies and nannies and I have that covered. I am thinking more along the lines of

-something you would never goat hunt without, rope, spotting scope, rangfinder etc etc
    -tips you've learnt about goat behaviour
    -general wisdom about goat hunting/stalking

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Last minute goats wisdom

Um, few things come to mind:
    -spotter and rangefinder are both top items to have on a goat trip, I even pack a compact spotter at all times
    -when the sun first hits the hills in the morning is a great time to glass
    -don't concentrate solely above treeline, lots of goats are in the cliffs within the trees and that becomes even more so once the rut hits
    -sounds silly but if you are having troubles differentiating a goat from a rock it's usually a rock
    -hope your boots are broken in!
    Most importantly good luck

Thanks Kopper22, the sun first hitting the hills is a new one to me but it makes total sense

glass, glass, glass, you could watch an area for hours and nothing, turn away to grab something outta your pack and boom theres a goat, they can and will appear outta thin air

No amount of reading will ever prepare you enough for most goat hunts. The best advice is to gain experience by putting boots to dirt. Goats are tough and so is the country they live and die in. Physical and mental training will be your biggest advantage. Shot placement is key to anchor them and don't stop shooting till he's down for good. A solid pair of boots with a good sole and ability to feel the rock and have confidence in your step is critical. A good pack with some cloths/sleeping bag to keep the meat off of the bottom of the pack is important. Hiking poles with wrist straps are worth their weight in gold. Be fully aware of what's below before you pull the trigger. Hunting goats is more braun than brain.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Quote Originally Posted by BCbillies View Post
    No amount of reading will ever prepare you enough for most goat hunts. The best advice is to gain experience by putting boots to dirt. Goats are tough and so is the country they live and die in. Physical and mental training will be your biggest advantage. Shot placement is key to anchor them and don't stop shooting till he's down for good. A solid pair of boots with a good sole and ability to feel the rock and have confidence in your step is critical. A good pack with some cloths/sleeping bag to keep the meat off of the bottom of the pack is important. Hiking poles with wrist straps are worth their weight in gold. Be fully aware of what's below before you pull the trigger. Hunting goats is more braun than brain.
    Some great advice right there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by khoffnbud View Post
    glass, glass, glass, you could watch an area for hours and nothing, turn away to grab something outta your pack and boom theres a goat, they can and will appear outta thin air
    x2

If it's really hot check shady spots. If you find Nannies, and kids look up! Seriously way up.. I doubt you're very concerned about making the book, but if so.. Ears are usually around 6", and tip of nose to base of horn is around 9" . should help you judge a mature billy. Take lots of pictures, and enjoy the country.

best of luck !

Be positive throughout the hunt and at the same time anticipate the what-ifs. Pessimism can easily do you in mentally and lead to trouble. Be prepared to spend the night on the side of a mountain.
    The location of goats is highly dependent upon weather conditions and time of year. Fog rolling in and out can greatly assist in a stalk.
    A good goat hunt will deem you useless around the house for 5 days following your return!
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Good advice so far. Remember goats can go were you cannot go. So be sure to check out the terrain before you shoot as you might not be able to get to it.
    The best advice I was given when I first went goat hunting was a Billies horns look like your thumb and a nannies look like your baby finger both might have the same length but one has a larger diameter.
    I'll say it to, good fitting boots that your toes don't hit the end when going down step terrain.
    and walking sticks help when going up and down.
    Goats are the best and so under rated. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

[QUOTE=BCbillies.
    A good goat hunt will deem you useless around the house for 5 days following your return![/QUOTE]
    Only 5 days, shit I'm useless alot longer than that. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has this problem.