Thread: Grouse 8-4

Grouse 8-4

Sept. 12-14
    Took a half day at work and packed up the kids and headed out to 8-4 for a Grouse weekend. Saw 5 other groups of hunters over the 2 days. Mornings didn't go well, since its a weekend for the kids I try not to push them to hard and keep it fun. Alarm goes off at 6:40 come up lets go. "Just 5 more minutes" from my son and my older daughter burried her head under her sleeping bag. But my 4 yr old popped right up. Dressed and off in the truck at about 7am, unfortunately no luck in the morning. Went back to camp and tried to teach them a bit about starting and building fires. Some whining about no video games from my son. My daughter did find 3 broken arrows, one was useless. But I pulled the head off the other two, then she wanted me to make her a bow. So that kept them busy shooting the headless shafts around. Headed back out at 3:30pm and 2 minutes out of camp ran into two grouse. I stop and shout "Grouse" kids freeze then my 6yr old says "well why aren't you shooting it?" (excited voice). Bagged one and one flew off, funny enough they all sat in the truck. For my 4 yr old this is her 2nd year out but first trip we shot anything. She was ecstatic "you got one dad you got one". The next group was 5 we ran into at about 430p. This time I reminded them to get out with me and keep eyes open for fliers. They got out after the first shot but missed the first 2 to spook. I tossed the dead one into the road and started to walk and look. Next one spooked took a shot and missed, but it landed in a group of jack pine. I looked back and saw them still all checking out the shot one. Gave them a yell to come and look up in the trees, I spotted the silhouette at about that time. Told them it was up in one of these 4 trees, 6yr old spotted it too in about 15 sec - so I dropped it. So we ended up going 3 for 7. The next morning was a bust, 7:40 am kids still wont get up. Someone was nice enough to drive by and yell "time to wake up!". See guys the other hunters are teasing you now, better get out of bed. They did get up and we went around a bit, one voted to stay and hunt the evening but the other 2 wanted to head home. Oh well better not to push things, I'll save the hardcore hunting weekends for my dad and the GF. Great weather, nights were 4 degrees though at 3500 feet.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse 8-4

Sounds like a great time had by all. Nice pics of some happy kids. These are the days they will remember and talk about years from now.
    To warm barrels and cold noses