Thread: Prince George Nechako river fishing

Prince George Nechako river fishing

Lots of people on the river, lately. I assume because of the sockeye run? What are people using?

I have river fished before, not in PG. I have used spin-and-glo's and spoons.

Any fly fishing? I would think there are dolly's as well.
    No Quarter

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Prince George Nechako river fishing

My son has been having success catching sockeye on the fly. Current is too slow to use Fraser River techniques..

most guys were using a fly setup however there are some bouncing. went down friday night and saw a couple landed.

Must be pretty skanky looking sox??

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Must be pretty skanky looking sox??
    thats what i would think. I wantto get down there though.

Any advice on flies??
    No Quarter

tiny pink... thats where id start but i havent really spent time on Sockeye Fly'n
    Sockeye are not eating ..... they do not chase down things like other salmon.... you can use a Streamer to get into Coho and Chinook,, but they are attacking it outa spite!
    Sockeye just sit there.... Tiny pink or another hot egg type color. with a line that will sink enough to keep your fly like 12" off bottom

Quote Originally Posted by winchester284 View Post
    My son has been having success catching sockeye on the fly. Current is too slow to use Fraser River techniques..
    Actually bottom bouncing works just fine...hooked over 50 so far. Outfished the fly fisherman on the bar hands down...

The run is coming to an end and there have been some pretty slow days of late but if you are there when a good wave comes through it is just as good as the lower fraser...caught my limit of 4 in under half an hour several times. Havn't been out since sunday though.

The fish have been getting progressively darker since the opening last month but their meat has been bright orange and firm for the most part. Lots of rave reviews from people I have given them to. I have released quite a few that I felt were well past their prime or looked beat up. Only a handful have had 'softer' meat, mostly darker females which I'll smoke up in a tasty brine!