Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: No Trespassing Signs on Crown Land

Re: No Trespassing Signs on Crown Land

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    au contraire. there are plenty of metal gates illegally blocking roads out there. its crazy the lengths some people will go. if i had explosives or a portable cutting torch, believe me, theyd be gone.
    The problem is, how would I identify which gates are illegal and which ones are not? I have no qualms if I know that ONE particular gate is illegal because it would be as easy as ripping it out of the ground with my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking_4_Jerky View Post
    Also, for those relying on the IMAP ICF layer to determine private property, be warned that it is fraught with inaccuracies. Really have to pull the title to know for sure, as some private stuff can have reverted to Crown and then have been subject to a subsequent disposition, and there's also other reasons we won't get into.

And then yes, there are also the leases. IMAP should be fairly accurate in depicting these. They should not be confused with open range land, which is why we see cattle in cutblocks, etc at certain times of year. Ranchers can gain authorization to allow cattle to graze open range Crown land, but access to those areas may not be impeded. With grazing leases, the lessee has the right to control access year round regardless of whether it is fenced or livestock is present. Sucks, but it's true. The fact that any grazing leases are renewed is total bullshit. At one point, the Province adopted a policy where grazing leases were not being renewed at expiry, but rather were being replaced with licenses and/or permits. Cattleman's Association went political and the ball-less bureaucrats started renewing leases to those who already had them. To the best of my knowledge, new grazing leases are not being issued. In a day with so many competing land-uses, leases are not an appropriate form of tenure for grazing since the grazing can take take place just as effectively under tenures that don't allow control of access.

It should be noted that in some cases, when leases have been renewed, certain Provincial employees have actually done their due diligence and deleted access routes/trails through the leases that lead to lands beyond. In other words, you can legally traverse the leases on designated routes, but you still are prohibited from accessing the leased lands through which the routes run. They are not as common as one would hope, but you can identify these instances on IMAP by looking for leases where the color of the lease layer is absent over certain routes through the lease.

Regarding interspecific competition between cattle and ungulates, I'm not sure why the literature repeatedly points toward an absence of significant competition, and when I'm out on range land I can almost always find where cattle have ransacked tracts of shrubs and forbs that cattle aren't supposed to impact. Although I'm an Agrologist, I'm not a cattle expert, and yet I find evidence of cattle adversely impacting wildlife (ungulate and other) habitat on a regular basis. Certainly if I were a deer, I'd be averse to drinking out of watercourses that had been shat and pissed in for months by cattle.
    Leases aren't quite as simple as you make it out to be. Leases were kept because cattlemen's went to the Provincial government with one simple fact. Most leases are integral to proper operation of the adjoining ranch. That's why most ranchers took no issue with them not issuing new ones. Some leases have had hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on them. Be it improvements to the forage, being for both cattle AND wildlife, weed control, water management, etc etc.

As far as I've seen the cattle and deer don't seem to like each other much. But that doesn't stop them from eating out of the same feedbunk as the cows do. Nor do they have an issue drinking out of the pond that the 300 head of cattle drink out of for 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    fisticuffs.
    I hope that isn't the attitude you would actually take. No matter what happens it wouldn't end well. It'd probably either be a trip to the big house, or into the dirt. Last I checked Farm kids grow up big.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodninjajunky View Post
    Take the signs down, and if they are put back up maybe take them down again, someone is bound to give up detering people or get really f n choked haha call surrounding city halls, or ?? If it's be changed to private there mist be a record somewhere...
    Would you be one of the Folks tearing my signs down? Honestly, the big ones cost almost ten dollars, and the little ones, for one that won't fade after a few months, its another two bucks. I spent $140 dollars before the start of hunting season on signs, I spent another $50 last week replacing the ones that were missing. Why should my business include such a large 'sign' budget?

vortex hunter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doostien View Post
    Leases aren't quite as simple as you make it out to be. Leases were kept because cattlemen's went to the Provincial government with one simple fact. Most leases are integral to proper operation of the adjoining ranch. That's why most ranchers took no issue with them not issuing new ones. Some leases have had hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on them. Be it improvements to the forage, being for both cattle AND wildlife, weed control, water management, etc etc.

As far as I've seen the cattle and deer don't seem to like each other much. But that doesn't stop them from eating out of the same feedbunk as the cows do. Nor do they have an issue drinking out of the pond that the 300 head of cattle drink out of for 4 months.

I hope that isn't the attitude you would actually take. No matter what happens it wouldn't end well. It'd probably either be a trip to the big house, or into the dirt. Last I checked Farm kids grow up big.

Would you be one of the Folks tearing my signs down? Honestly, the big ones cost almost ten dollars, and the little ones, for one that won't fade after a few months, its another two bucks. I spent $140 dollars before the start of hunting season on signs, I spent another $50 last week replacing the ones that were missing. Why should my business include such a large 'sign' budget?
    thats funny stuff... last I heard CITY BOYS GROW UP BIG ALSO lol

If we're going to get into the "grey" area of defining private land or more importantly being able to access it and play dumb when I get caught because there wasn't a fence or a sign, you're going to have to go in to case law.

At the route of this, everyone must understand, ignorance (there was no sign. I didn't see a fence) is no excuse to prevent having charges laid. Your case will be tried and a judge will render a decision. Just remember, the basis of his decision will be, as a user of the land, it is your absolute responsibility to know the status of the land.

So take your chance and manage the risk. Just know the consequences.

And to the comment about country boys and city boys. From my experience City boys focus more on posting douche bag pictures of themselves wearing heavy gold chains and trendy sleeveless shirts on facebook than country boys. Just sayin you can't buy that stuff in the country.

vortex hunter Guest

miss the comics of hbc lol need some popcorn