Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chopping salmon??

Re: chopping salmon??

I presume you were on Quesnel lake? Yes, the guy has been doing it a long time. The girl is new but getting the hang of it quickly.

Friend of mine used to do this on the Cowichan River every fall. Went out with him once to do a count and take scale samples for the biologists. Pretty gross job, almost turned me off fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance1972 View Post
    Friend of mine used to do this on the Cowichan River every fall. Went out with him once to do a count and take scale samples for the biologists. Pretty gross job, almost turned me off fishing.
    yeah it was pretty disgusting to see.
    especially when there were several tourists walking the area watching the spawning salmon.
    even worse, after the fisheries people were done and had left, a houseboat full of guys and girls pulled ashore and moored for the night right beside the creek.
    they set up some poles for some beer-Frisbee game and got to partying.
    the whole time totally unaware that hundreds of rotting, freshly-hacked salmon bits were all over the area.
    even more gross, is if they were swimming in that area later.

Having done "the dead pitch" afew times, Its alot less work to whack their nose off then to cut them in half. Mind you we were working with/counting 50-120LB springs...
    Eat your dessert first.