Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kuiu vs Sitka vs Kryptek vs First Lite

Re: Kuiu vs Sitka vs Kryptek vs First Lite

I just got out of spatsizi yesterday, was in there 8 days and it pissed rain for 6 days snowed another. I was wearing the sitka dewpoint jacket and pants and it performed very well. Wearing it that long, you do start to wet from sweat though. My partner was wearing the kuiu raingear and it also performed very well. I was using to icon 7200 backpack and had to pas up a goat because of a long hike and broken carbon fibre pack aframe that i mcguiverd back together with tent pegs and black tape. Partner was using the ultra 6000 and it was ok but nothing special. Ill never carry a kuiu pack with confidence again because of 2 broken frames. I dealt with sitkas warranty with some leaky coldfront jacket and pants, it took a while but goretex guarantees their product and replaced it with no questions asked.

I remember when kuiu first came out i had a good chat with one of the main reps at the sheep foundation fundraiser.
    First thing i got from my conversation is that kuiu is sitka done right. Fact is that its the same designers who left sitka to do something the way they saw it should be done. That coupled with direct to market pricing for 2/3 cost and most of the clothing is made in vancouver by the same shop ark'tryx started with.
    I too found buying things i haven't tried on or touched first has been an issue for me but out of the 10 kuiu items i ordered i've only had to send back one and it was no problem switching for a new size even after i pulled the tag off.
    I really think they are doing things the right way and giving regular guys like up a way to get the best gear available at a reasonable price.

Sitka and Kuiu systems are pretty comparable with Kuiu slightly ahead. Arcteryx is better yet but pricey.As others said Helly Hansen is top of the line for keeping water out if you can stay dry on the inside of them. My thoughts are a layered Kuiu system for hiking and being active on the mountain and a set of Hellys to pull on if it downpours, you are bushwhacking or sitting on a horse or quad. It's a lot cheaper when you rip it and Sitka and Kuiu gear all let's water through if you wear it long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by killer_shot View Post
    That coupled with direct to market pricing for 2/3 cost and most of the clothing is made in vancouver by the same shop ark'tryx started with.
    Sadly their gear hasn't been made in Vancouver for two years now. All sewing has been farmed out overseas, to China, Vietnam etc. Was a real cluster #**# with the clothing sizing for a while when they first started to import from the factories over seas. Like about two sizes too small

Harv
    how did your frame break? I also was worried about the carbon frame, I have heard there was some design changes to the frame for the icon pro line? I went with the icon pro because it was $450 hope it doesn't F up while I'm up there

Quote Originally Posted by matt-jenkins View Post
    I'm slowly building up my Sitka Kit, I love the Kuiu stuff, camo, prices, everything about it except I cannot touch/feel/try on before ordering. I have a hard time buying technical clothing especially at that price totally blind.
    exactly how i feel. sounds like lots of guys are really happy with there kuiu, but i hate that you can only order it online.

Both frames broke on one of the bottom stays where the hip belt tourques on the frame. I think they got rid of those on the new ones, im guessing becuse breakig them was happening alot. The pro frame looks a little tougher, i may try it once i hear how peoples are handling on hunts

Well ill keep you posted on how mine does if i can remember!

Remember there is a big difference on can- us dollar right now if you order state side. I only have Sitka and like all I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Both frames broke on one of the bottom stays where the hip belt tourques on the frame. I think they got rid of those on the new ones, im guessing becuse breakig them was happening alot. The pro frame looks a little tougher, i may try it once i hear how peoples are handling on hunts
    How much weight were you packing, out of curiosity. I have the Icon 7200. Love how it carries. Also the design, all the pockets and have used it lots with never problems, with the exception of those crappy zipper pulls. Which I have all changed out. I don't think it was designed to be a heavy hauler though. Heading into the Tatshenshini on the Sept 13th again. And the same Icon is going with me again. Had Goat and Sheep in it last year. But I'm getting to old to be over loading myself. So hopefully with my smaller loads, it hangs in there for another trip.