Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kuiu vs Sitka vs Kryptek vs First Lite

Re: Kuiu vs Sitka vs Kryptek vs First Lite

Ordered $569.94 kuiu on Aug 18 2014 9:22 am. Shipping was $29.95 for a total of $599.89. Shipped on the 19th. Delivered to my door in Surrey at 11:52 am on the 22nd of Aug. Cbsa import form was $31.20 GST & $43.68 Pst. Handling charge of $9.95 for a total of $84.83 in tax's and handling that I paid the PostLady. NO Duty was charged. Have ordered well over $2000.00 of gear in the past over a period of time in separate shipments from Kuiu, and have never been charged any Duty. Always the gst and pst which I expect to pay on a large dollar shipments. A small order under $150 usually comes through to me with no tax's charged as they can only check so many items and usually stick to the higher priced fare.

Have used sitka for as long as its been around. Not happy with their Stormfront gear, it isn't waterproof and the warranty process is less than consumer friendly.
    The traverse stuff is good, fits well, vests are good.
    Haven't used Kuiu, have a hard time forgetting the BS he fed everyone when marketing promising it would be available in Canada from Canada after using the Arctery'x factory then shipping to CA then back to Canada again and now being produced by Asians.
    Helly hansen rubbers beat all for a fraction of the price for rain gear AND it is quieter. Technical clothing that fits properly is hard to overlook though.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

I first had the cloudburst jacket, it was good but leaked. Returned to cabelas for full refund. Bought the chugach jacket and it has been good, no complaints, we'll see how it holds up in the 2nd year of use now that the dwr has worn off. Just bought the an arcteryx pro shell. It's a little lighter and feels like better quality gear than both others. Had to settle for Grey though.

I'm slowly building up my Sitka Kit, I love the Kuiu stuff, camo, prices, everything about it except I cannot touch/feel/try on before ordering. I have a hard time buying technical clothing especially at that price totally blind.

I've always been weary about buying thing online cause I want to feel, touch and try on but haven't even thought of sending any Kuiu gear back, it's that nice and comfy. I think more people will be wearing Kuiu this year and that means more people will see and feel it and buy it themselves.

Where is the First Lite love?

I just bought a full merino base layer from them with a pair of Kanabs. Got their boundary stormtight jacket/pants as well.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt. Hope it works out. I will say merino is ridiculously comfortable and quiet. If you are after gaiters, outdoor research makes a set called expedition crocodiles with a no nonsens lifetime replacement warranty that were recommended by some guys that hunt hard

Mike
    Blacktail Nut

Stresd:

If Kuiu gear says made in USA in it, which I have no idea if it does or not, since I have personally never seen any, you will never get a DUTY charge because of the Free trade law we have between the USA and Canada

Free Trade between Canada and the USA means at the border if you go down there, you DO NOT have to declare ANYTHING that is MADE IN THE USA. If the dickhead at the border tries to hit you with duty on anything, check all tags and whatever says made in the USA, take that price off the receipt and whatever is made in other countries, those items are the only ones you will pay duty on

Could always try non hunting gear....get a hell of a better product for ur dollar......they aren't camo though so you will probably never see any animals. I'm actually gonna kill an animal this year wearing a neon one piece ski suit from the 80s, planning on starting a new fashion trend.
    and back to the original question at hand the first lite merino stuff is nice as are Sitka and kuius stuff too me it just feels like a weak material and I have seen a few people rip there gear on very minor falls
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Quote Originally Posted by wighty View Post
    Stresd:

If Kuiu gear says made in USA in it, which I have no idea if it does or not, since I have personally never seen any, you will never get a DUTY charge because of the Free trade law we have between the USA and Canada

Free Trade between Canada and the USA means at the border if you go down there, you DO NOT have to declare ANYTHING that is MADE IN THE USA. If the dickhead at the border tries to hit you with duty on anything, check all tags and whatever says made in the USA, take that price off the receipt and whatever is made in other countries, those items are the only ones you will pay duty on
    Not made in USA so Duty Does apply.Just a matter of whether a shipment gets dinged or not.
    Most of their gear I find to be excellent. When hunting the Mountains for Sheep/Goats etc, I find hi tech gear to be a must have, as it makes the hunt so much easier, comfortable, enjoyable and downright doable when you are getting up there as a greybeard. Drive in/wall tent, Mr Moose or Mowich hunts you will find me back in my old well used non camo wools. Big Bill codets are my favorite

I bought the new icon 7200 Pro bag. seems pretty good, I have it fully loaded for a ten day hunt and it is way lighter then my mystery ranch. they are two different approaches to the same goal it seems. Kuiu is light while sacrificing longevity, Mystery ranch is heavy but more durable, i think the icon bag will last several seasons. as for the clothes I have some core 4 element, icebreaker merino, and some kuiu stuff, also i have some IBEX rambler merino pants, they are the best hunting pants i have ever owned. all in all i think for clothes its whatever fits best with cost. I perfer wool/ down over synthetics if I can. Rain gear however I haven't used much yet, I Have the core 4 stuff and I am hoping it holds up.