Thread: Jan Bison Hunt Q's

Jan Bison Hunt Q's

Hey All

I was lucky enough to pull a shared bison hunt from Jan 1-15. Great group of guys who are prepared to take on all the challenges to make this hunt a success.

We have done a fair bit of research, but I have a few pointed question for those who has done this hunt in the past. Thanks to those who have already supplied info via pm.

We have already booked a big cabin at Tomter Ranch for the later part of the season. Can anyone answer the following:

How long of sled ride from the ranch to the trail around the reserve?

Should we bring our own cooking gear (pots, pans, plates, etc)?

Drinking water available at the ranch?

What’s the rodent situation, should I bring a drowing machine and some traps?

So far from what I have read most of the info is in regarding logistics and planning the hunt. What about the actual hunting . Seems like most cruise around on the sleds until they find fresh tracks and follow on snow shoes. Any other successful tactics?

I plan and loading up some bison thumpers for my 7mm-mag any bullet recommendations? I was going to look at a 175 TSX.

Thanks in advance for the help, any additional info or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ryan
    KCCO

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jan Bison Hunt Q's

Get off the sled when you come up to any clearings and walk in . They will be well aware of machines come January. Find fresh tracks and follow. I think there is a minimum weight of 175 grain bullet so yes that would be a good choice.

Sled ride to trail, is like 5 or 10 mins, around ranch is about 45 mins iirc. Yes bring cooking gear, including stove and gas, no rodent probs for us, I think there's drinking water but we had brought our own, I'd call helge to confirm that though. 175 gr 7mm is fine.
    They are VERY sled shy come January, take every opportunity to quietly follow fresh tracks. Lots of hidden openings you cannot see from trail, climb up to look down into them. Or gps them from google earth ahead of time and move in quietly.
    Twist and pull.

Oh ya I forgot to ask, seeing as I live in Cranbrook would the Alberta route be the best bet for traveling north? I have heard it can be a little sketchy in the winter.

thanks
    KCCO

Distance and time wise yes the icefields parkway is the shortest route, we go that way coming down for turkey hunting, just keep a eye on drivebc and if conditions look bad come up through the interior. Nice thing is you have options.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    Distance and time wise yes the icefields parkway is the shortest route, we go that way coming down for turkey hunting, just keep a eye on drivebc and if conditions look bad come up through the interior. Nice thing is you have options.
    Thanks! Kinda what we were thinking
    KCCO

The parkway is the shortest. I've taken the 22 all the way up. But I always take the stoney tr around calgary now and up the QE2 north to Anthony hende around Edmonton, GP and off too FSJ... that would definitely be the route I would take if I was driving it on my own time/dime. It might be longer distance but the best roads.

Take lots off gas .....and hate to say it but get your gas in alberta...its typically 20-25 cents cheaper in red deer than the east koots