Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Sheep Hunting Days Are Done!!

Re: Your Sheep Hunting Days Are Done!!

being a B.C. policy and not a federal one, would not your local MP be the person to contact rather than the MLA?? ...hmm I better write to em both just to be sure.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc
    being a B.C. policy and not a federal one, would not your local MP be the person to contact rather than the MLA?? ...hmm I better write to em both just to be sure.

Chris
    I think you're backwards on this one... MLA is Provincial...MP is Federal.

DOH!! I always screw that up....I know which guy is which just never remember which title goes with which guy!!

still gonna write to them both!!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Our problems are with the MOE, writing your MLA and MP are both great ways to go but I would also fire a note to the Honourable Barry Penner as he's top dog in the MOE. It's his show and his call on how things end up. He has pushed back hard and said he wants this thing settled yesterday, which means people are scrambling to get the deal done, they are not "looking" at the issue, just trying to get it off of their plate the quickest way possible. Not a great way to deal with this issue.

GET YOUR MINISTER OF THE ENVIOURMENT HERE!!!!!!

http://www.gov.bc.ca/bvprd/bc/conten...AV_ID_province

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

In my opinion the GO's should be bought out by the government and slowly phased out. Why do people keep voting in a government that has an ideology that places business interests ahead of the citizens virtualy 100% of the time?
    My family has my heart!
    The forest owns my soul!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    In my opinion the GO's should be bought out by the government and slowly phased out. Why do people keep voting in a government that has an ideology that places business interests ahead of the citizens virtualy 100% of the time?
    Well, I don't think that woudl happen, since they are viable businesses that are a source of revenue.

The reason they get voted in is because they are far better than the alternative.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Just got off the phone with MOE in FT St John:

For the next 5 year plan:

-Non Resident sheep quota has been reduced from 137 Sheep (2006 Quota) to 112 Sheep (for the next 5 years - basically 18% reduction) of which they'll harvest ~70% (Last year they killed 96 of their 137 rams).

Using historical harvest numbers, this equates to 63% of the quota (remember they'll likely only kill 70% of that 63% though).

-Resident hunters are EXPECTED to harvest the remaining rams, but ARE NOT governed by a quota (regardless of what CI #'s indicate).

So....I was assured that LEH is NOT in the cards for Stone's (at least for the next 5 years) in Region 7B, nor is any type of "quota" for residents...basically things will remain as they were (Still 1 in 3 yrs).

Fair or not... it has been approved, and we're stuck with it (for the next 5 years)

I'll still write my letters to whomever will listen, as I strongly believe these sheep belong to the residents of BC first and foremost, and we should have the VAST majority of the opportunity.

Don't for one second believe that just because they're not LEH that we're not getting the short end of the stick.

This year when you head out for sheep and watch over a band of rams with no legal mature sheep, remember that 96 rams left BC last year... rams that would have been 1 year older for you and I to selectively pick over this year!

StoneChaser

Letters sent to both Kamloops MLA and MOE
    RB

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Just got off the phone with MOE in FT St John:

For the next 5 year plan:

-Non Resident sheep quota has been reduced from 137 Sheep (2006 Quota) to 112 Sheep (for the next 5 years - basically 18% reduction) of which they'll harvest ~70% (Last year they killed 96 of their 137 rams).

Using historical harvest numbers, this equates to 63% of the quota (remember they'll likely only kill 70% of that 63% though).

-Resident hunters are EXPECTED to harvest the remaining rams, but ARE NOT governed by a quota (regardless of what CI #'s indicate).

So....I was assured that LEH is NOT in the cards for Stone's (at least for the next 5 years) in Region 7B, nor is any type of "quota" for residents...basically things will remain as they were (Still 1 in 3 yrs).

Fair or not... it has been approved, and we're stuck with it (for the next 5 years)

I'll still write my letters to whomever will listen, as I strongly believe these sheep belong to the residents of BC first and foremost, and we should have the VAST majority of the opportunity.

Don't for one second believe that just because they're not LEH that we're not getting the short end of the stick.

This year when you head out for sheep and watch over a band of rams with no legal mature sheep, remember that 96 rams left BC last year... rams that would have been 1 year older for you and I to selectively pick over this year!

StoneChaser

Thanks for the info, well stated,

Obviously the GO's know of these new changes, as people like Gundahoo have raised the Stone hunt prices to 35,000 US for the coming season.