Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Sheep Hunting Days Are Done!!

Your Sheep Hunting Days Are Done!!

The word is out that MOE has just allocated almost two thirds of the 7B Stone's Sheep allocation for the next five years to guided non-resident hunters.

For the next five years the non-resident allocation in the Northeastern BC will be 570 rams, out of an Allowable Harvest of 900 or so. That averages out to 114 rams per year, but they are not restricted to that number as MOE is also allowing them a flexible guideline that says more can be taken in any given year as long as the five-year kill is 570. Sounds like a real conservation-minded plan to me.

Resident hunters are allocated only 67 rams per year (37%), out of an Annual Allowable Harvest of 181 rams for all of 7B. The fact that BC residents have historically harvested almost 50% of the sheep in past years obviously means nothing.

Considering that the longterm annual BC resident harvest averages over 100 rams, and was 85 rams in 2006, should be a clear indication where the new Allocation Policy will take resident hunters over the next few years.
    We will be put on LEH and so few permits will be issued that we will not even harvest our tiny percentage.

The defenders of this new policy, that favors wealthy non-residents over taxpaying BC residents, should be proud of what they have done.

If you want to hunt Stone's Sheep in BC, and you aren't rich, I would suggest a call to your MLA to let 'em know how happy you are with the way they have allowed MOE to ignore our priority as resident hunters.

Those poor ol' blue rams are in for hell in 2007.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Your Sheep Hunting Days Are Done!!

What A Bunch Of Crap This Is. Figures Though. Go for the mighty dollar, SH*T on the people that put you in office.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Currently I don't hunt sheep. However

Consider that a resident can only take 67 rams in a year, where the GO can take any number of rams in a year, provided he doesn't exceed 570 in a 5 year period.

What percentage of rams does the resident take, if he takes 67 in the first year and the GO fills his 5 year quota in that first year?

If the GO takes 570 in the first year and the resident only takes his 67. What percent is that? Is it 10%?

Stirring the usual pot are you 40"er???
    Sounds like a press release by the Resident Hunter's Association, no doubt...............
    SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 03-08-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Link??????

RO

I'd sure like to see an offical policy document before I jump to TOO many conclusions....but Damn, I've already made a couple calls to a few that are in a better position to know than I.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past the BC Liberals... and worst of it is that I voted for them!

Gave us our grizzly back, but are taking our sheep...I sure hope this is misinformation!

Need more info...Link?

StoneChaser

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve
    Stirring the usual pot are you 40"er???
    Sounds liker a press release by the Resident Hunter's Association...............
    SSS
    I'm sure hoping this is the case!

I sure hope this is misinformation too. were would such a person look for more info on this

Not really 'new' news, as a 40/60 split was in the table for Thinhorns, Caribou, and Goat.

I also really really hope this is a case of misinformation, cause otherwise I'm gonna be severely pissed off about this. Money talks, unfortunately, and can never seem to keep its loud mouth shut.