Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Hunt

My First Hunt

I would like to ask a few questions before I start my first hunt. I have never hunted before. I have a passion for it though. I have been reading several books on the subject and watching shows and documentaries. I have even been making notes on animal gait, reading articles about game animals on wikipedia, and tracking down obscure textbooks by Valerius Giest. If there is a list of gear that is recommended, what would it include? Who would I find to take me hunting? I would prefer to go camping in the area I would be hunting a few times to get a feel for the area. Should I hunt with a guide, or find someone at a range who will take me hunting? Are there benefits to either? Are there hunting courses? Any information on how I can start hunting would be appreciated.

Best,

Jackstay

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My First Hunt

Welcome to hunting and HBC.
    Where are you located?

I will be moving to East Vancouver in November.

Moving from where? Yes you will have to take the CORE course to be able to get your hunting license. Guides aren't necessary and are very expensive. More info you're able to give about yourself may help you out to find a partner/mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    magnums can easily turn your brain to mush,, and there is much evidence of that on the internet !

As was said take the CORE course, then go from there...while your waiting, start hikin around and get used to being in the bush, if ya haven't already...

Lots of huntable land not too far from the LML, will you have a car/truck?

Coastal BT are like ghosts, and the bears can be a little.....fishy

First step is getting your core. Your instructor will walk you through the process of getting legal. You need a hunter number card and a species tag for any big game you'd be after. First year hunters must buy bcwf membership.

Google the bc hunting regs synopsis or go to a gun store and pick up a free copy.

Then tell us about yourself, age, what your outdoor experience is, what you're looking for in a hunt, etc.

lots of guys are willing to mentor or just take guys for a "ride along" to give them a taste of what huntings all about but will want to know more about the guys they take out. I've introduced a few folks to hunting and its very cool to see a guy bag his first critter.

It can be an intimidating sport to get into but once you're in the addiction really sets in.

Goodluck.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

As mentioned above, the guys need a bit more info about you in order to help you out. Your age first, where do you live now, can you hike for a few hours with a pack and a rifle on your back, do you have a car or truck, and a host of other questions? But, you started in the right place if you need help getting into hunting, lots of the guys on here would be more than happy to give you a hand, but there going to need a bit more information about you, and good luck, you sound very determined to start hunting, and that's half the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by buck nash View Post
    First year hunters must buy bcwf membership.

Where is some info on this?….. Why must they buy this?

That sounds wonderful. I am just recently 27 and currently working in Fort McMurray. I came up here to make a bit of money before I reapply to the Navy as an Officer. That being said I am unsure with training and deployment when I will get another solid chance to hunt. For that reason, I would like to hunt before I head to Basic. I have a fair amount of outdoor experience as I camped most of my life. Behind my house was a forest which I spent the majority of my childhood in. I am in very good shape and have quite good endurance as a result of my job. The kind of hunting I am attracted to is more spot and stalk. I like the idea of a chase as it feels more primal. My rifle is a Lee Enfield No 4 mk 1 that was unissued and is a joy to shoot. My reason for buying it was I have a emotional attachment to the rifle because of it's place in history as well as it will make me a better shooter using iron sights. I much rather prefer to make things difficult on myself in order to become a better hunter in the long run. I will start looking into CORE as you all recommended I do and try and get ready. That's a little about me, anything else that you need to know feel free to ask as I would like to learn as much as possible.

Best,

Jackstay