Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alberta Pheasant hunt?

Re: Alberta Pheasant hunt?

Barklee, just out of curiousity, what is a 'pretty good deal' on 4-5 birds?

Chuckers 13 a bird and 15 or 16 for pheasants. Compared to Wessex north of Calgary who charges 20 or more. Keep in mind they are early season birds but great for getting a dog used to the game.

Yup that's pretty good! I've shot some released birds but the price was definitely north of there! Good to know, thanks.

Hmm Patricia is in my travels...I have that as part of my pronghorn hunt in a couple weeks...your buddy have pronhorn also? Would be nice to get a few pheasants also...hmmm Im a Really bad wing shooter..
    Cheers
    Steven

Hunt the base of the milk river ridge and coulees running up. Wild pheasants, Huns and sharptail. Most farmers and colonies give permission but forget the desert ranches - they won't let anyone on the land. Haven't been back for a couple of years but was very good hunting. This is south of lethbridge and Raymond.

I've brought both my last dogs ( a golden retriever and golden/black lab [golden lab]) on pheasant hunts with only grouse experience and had no problem (only my shooting). If your dog is a flusher, you may have to hustle to keep up on a running bird and when you get a shot it may be out there but that's why we have dogs. Your dog will love it. Where I've hunted in Alberta, it's full of cacti. I'd put shoes and a protective vest on the dog. I wish could go, maybe next year. Good luck.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Check out the EID (eastern irragation district). Look it up on line and their office is in Brooks http://www.eid.ca/ . They should be able to point you to which part of their grazing land is open for hunting. Also check out http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/search.cfm . I grew up hunting pheasant in the Tilley area but while their are still birds around the farmers have cleared almost all of the small patches of cover that is so important to all upland birds. They also relined all the irrigation canals to prevent water loss but that ruined a lot of willow patches also. Another area is the north western borders of the Suffield base. Their are quite a few sharptails and huns around (not to mention ducks and geese)