Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY Flat Deck Trailer

Re: DIY Flat Deck Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    Was originally going to use carriage bolts for hardware to fasten the deck. Have decided to go with metal self tapping screws. I will drill pilot holes in the frame and screw through the wood. Anybody have any experience with this? Am I cutting corners going with screws as apposed to bigger hardware?
    My experience has been that self taping are a one shot deal that hold well enough but are very unforgiving if you want changes later.....not that carriage bolts fare much better in the long run as they all seem to seize up.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Another way to go about it is to lag bolt treated two by fours to the frame then screw your ply to the two by fours. Predrill the holes and it would last quite a while for the use you describe. Use lumber lock or other construction adhesive under the ply and it would last longer but be a beeeotch to ever redo the ply.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    Screws have NO shear strength!!!
    You don't need to worry about shear in a horizontal application . So screws will work fine for hold down . These screws will not be removable after a few years when a lag or carriage bolt may be removable. The big issue with screws here is vibration , you want a large diameter head so your screws don't pull through your ply . Odds are your ply will wear out before you need to change your screws .
    Wish I had a large diameter head
    dean

Lumber trailers use 1/4-5/16 deck screws I'm sure your little trailer will be fine.....

Just my thoughts Dmace.....I forecast the wood needing replacement before the fasteners. When that time comes, wood can be ripped off and screws can be easily cut off or (hopefully) unscrewed .

I highly doubt I will own the trailer this long but it doesn't hurt to contemplate these things.

Thanks guys!

Some good sized washers would help with that. I would still go with bolts if you are making something to last and may need to be re-decked.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

I used self tapping screws, worked fine. I did put a number of eyebolts down each side thru the plywood and the frame for tiedowns.
    Was originally going to use carriage bolts for hardware to fasten the deck. Have decided to go with metal self tapping screws. I will drill pilot holes in the frame and screw through the wood. Anybody have any experience with this? Am I cutting corners going with screws as apposed to bigger hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by dmace View Post
    You don't need to worry about shear in a horizontal application . So screws will work fine for hold down . These screws will not be removable after a few years when a lag or carriage bolt may be removable. The big issue with screws here is vibration , you want a large diameter head so your screws don't pull through your ply . Odds are your ply will wear out before you need to change your screws .
    Wish I had a large diameter head
    dean
    BC Fasteners has those type of screws. Best price around as well.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

No Screws - Plated Carriage bolts and washers 5/16 " with Ny Lok nuts ! RJ