Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A crossbow is just like a gun right? NOT! Help lol

Re: A crossbow is just like a gun right? NOT! Help lol

Darksmith: my crossbow I got is a low grade one, and with practice I split arrows now on a regular basis if I shoot at the same spot twice (though with my low power xbow my max range I practice is 35 to 40 yards)..you'll get it, and you got the right attitude as your havin fun.. my suggestions to how you described your probs:
    -hell with un-cocking the bow, just shoot it into the target
    -if your scope is maxed out on height at 15 yards, sounds to me like it ain't mounted right, but I could definitely be wrong
    -with the draw string: I make sure every time that when the string is wrapped around the backside of the action/scope mount and the hooks are on either side of the rail, that my string is consistently placed the same way every time, and that the hooks as I draw back are both tightly against either side of the rail through the whole pull..when you are consistent on it you will find your grove to keep the drawstring out of the way of the cocking mechanism..

Also, after every time you shoot, it's good practice to wax your string and use the rail-lube, I'm sure you've already been advised of this..

And nobody asked what kind it is...that would really help if you want tips.

the bow is a barnett 400.

It advertises 365fps

I have no speed adjustment on the scope, the scope could be mounted wrong, I did it myself, but I don't believe it is. It is also junk, stamped as a barnett scope, not sure why they would even bother, but thats ok...Im not going to worry about the scope too much, I will get it dialed in so that I can use it on monday for a few weeks, then I will basically hang it up until next year, which by then I will have a new scope for it.

Basically Im just out of play time, never really had any to begin with, but thats alright. Thanks for the ideas, much appreciated. hopefully I will have a great story with an animal stuck with a bolt!
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Is there a small dial on the side of the bow beneath the scope mount, the barnet I had had one and this was for the large adjustments then fine tune with scope turrets

Quote Originally Posted by 3centsolution View Post
    Is there a small dial on the side of the bow beneath the scope mount, the barnet I had had one and this was for the large adjustments then fine tune with scope turrets
    there is a small allan key screw but it is below the string latch area, I can't see it or anything else that would adjust the entire scope mount unfortunately. I will DL the manual for the bow, probably should of anyway
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

try lightening up your broad heads ?

It is not maxed out at 15 yards. The zero is probably out near 40 yards. The bolt is still rising at the closer distance and therefore is shooting low. You will need to learn the trajectory of the xbow. You will need to set targets at 5 yard intervals to determine the trajectory. There may be a calculator available to figure that out, but you need to know bolt speed to determine that. It may be quicker to do the interval thing.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

the manual seemed to indicate that the first line is the 10 yard line, I was shooting from 15 yards...I will definitely do some interval testing and hopefully it will all work out...generally speaking at what distance shooting around 350fps would you say the bolt stops rising?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    the manual seemed to indicate that the first line is the 10 yard line, I was shooting from 15 yards...I will definitely do some interval testing and hopefully it will all work out...generally speaking at what distance shooting around 350fps would you say the bolt stops rising?
    The bolt continues to rise until the bolt trajectory and the line of sight intersect. This is your zero. If you raise the crosshairs, then you increase the distance and the intersecting point is stepped out accordingly. Eventually, gravity must be satisfied and all projected things must come back to earth.
    It is just like your scoped rifle. The difference is that there are two intersection points between line of sight and bullet trajectory whereas there is only one intersecting point with a bow, crossbow and air rifle. This is due to the lower velocity and hence lower distance capability.
    I am assuming that the scope is marked with horizontal lines that serve the purpose much like the mildots. The 10 yard assumption is arbitrary. You would have to have the same weight bolt to replicate the factory standard. If the bolt is striking low, then your overall bolt weight is greater than the bolt used by whoever wrote the manual to set their parameter.
    Make sure that all your bolts are equal in weight. Then sight it in for the zero distance you want. Once you have determined that, you go back and see how it shoots at the 5 yard intervals. Know that if you alter the bolt weights, you will have to go through the exercise all over again.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Thanks Jag...that was actually exactly what was happening, but I am gonna say I did get lucky. Scope is still maxed out in height, but at 10 yds I am 2" low, at 15yds I am still about 2" low, at 20yds I am getting better at 1" low. At 30yds I am bang on. I figure my trajectory is leveling out around there, at 40yds I am using the next line on my sights and still pretty bang on, so I think I am about 2-3" low at 40yds. These were all with target heads. I shot 1 broadhead at 40yds as my last bolt...home built target fail lol!!!! Broadhead was about 3" high and blew right through my target and then bounced 50yds down the road...the broadhead would still kill, but needs a good filing lol. I heard broadheads sometimes fly a bit farther...so basically I am confident to 40yds and don't plan on shooting any further than that. I am feeling pretty good about getting out tomorrow. Always can use more practice, but that will come, and I think I will get my 4 year old shooting a couple this year. We will see.

Thanks to all for the advice, tips and help. Much appreciated, hoping I can return the favor one day.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member