Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new crossbow, have some questions

new crossbow, have some questions

my father and I just purchases a 225 lbs, 345 fps recurve crossbow and have a few questions regarding storage and broad heads. first off storing a recurve, is it ok to keep it strung or in doing so do you put unnecessary stress on the limbs? and to string it is it best to let a shop do it or are there some tricks to do it yourself. now to broad heads, in our area we are only hunting deer within 50 yards and have opted to use mechanical heads I am just wondering what is the best weight of head for deer and will shoot smoothly and accurately from this bow

bp

2. Site Sponsor

Re: new crossbow, have some questions

I am new to xbow as well, but at that speed I am suspecting that you don't want to use a mechanical broadhead...most have fps ratings, and my bow also is around the same speed...I couldn't find and was recommended to use solid broadheads. Nothing wrong with them either...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

didn't know that mechanicals had fps ratings? do you know why that is ? will it initiate the expansion during flight or something?

I don't use mechanicals, and I keep my Excalibur strung.

YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    I don't use mechanicals, and I keep my Excalibur strung.

YMMV.
    x2 ........
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

as a recurve shooter I would suggest unstringing at least during the off season...it's easy to do.

Not a crossbow bow guy but have picked up a few things along the way. Crossbow bolts unlike arrows are shorter than arrows so they are not as aerodynamic and should be used with a heavier head to get the weight out forward to balance the bolt better. I would run a 125 head and see how it flies, some experimenting will be in order. As far as broad heads, mechanicals should be fine because usually the recommendation is a faster bow so the mechanicals will open from better energy and speed than that of a slower recurve. Most newer hunting bows will fly an arrow as fast as your crossbow so the mechanicals should work from that aspect as well. If you are new to this whole game dealing with broadheads I would maybe stay with a fixed blade like a thunderhead 125 because mechanicals seem to have a few issues you may not want to deal with and probably every thing else will be enough for now.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    didn't know that mechanicals had fps ratings? do you know why that is ? will it initiate the expansion during flight or something?
    I imagine it will depend on the broadhead. The ones I was looking at said it right on the package. I think the initial thwang can make some open up which might make them less stable or less able to penetrate? Again I am a rookie, but I did see mechanicals with ratings on them, and the guy at WSS said I should stay away from them with an xbow that has a high fps
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    as a recurve shooter I would suggest unstringing at least during the off season...it's easy to do.
    Are recurve's still legal ?
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

yes recurves are still totally legal I got this one shipped to oroville Washington and haven't picked it up yet but there are no restrictions at the border apart from the fact that it has to be longer than 500 mm and cannot be fired from one hand