Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Re: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Good pic,,,,,did u see many more blues after u limited out?,,,,,,I been seeing more blues than ruffles this year,,,,I have 8 more days before I can let the 12 gauge bark at the birds yet
    Aim small,,miss small

I saw a handful after, and I should have limited out on the first group I saw because there were about 10 of them together.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

was out in 7-08 yesterday,didn,t see a bird or for that matter a critter of any description also was out getting fire wood on Sat in 5-02 also did not see a bird

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Do able yes but, 410 doesnt pack any punch. Alot of people will dissagree with me, but 28Ga 20Ga and 12Ga are the choices.
    Thing is, when the bird is flying you need shot in the air And powder behind it.

But yes if you are good at it a 410 will work..... just my opinion that a 20Ga is perfect for upland, though i owned a 12 for years before i inherited the 20.....
    If you have a Lab you are that much more ahead!
    Copy that. I'll giver a go. I do have a lab so it should be fun.

Totally! im not saying dont.... what i am saying is i see a 20 or a 12 in your future!
    Keep some wings to train your dog,,, freeze them for the off season,,, toss them off a trail then go back and get the pooch and "Go hunting"
    And when you do get to it,,, if i was you id buy a 3"12ga.... you will have waterfowellability then!

Oh ya, I deffinetly need to get into waterfowl. Found a sweet little spot and dont have the gun yet Its coming.

Time for today's dumb question: doesn't a 12 just pulverize them? I look at what it does to a clay at 40 yards and wouldn't want to try picking the edible bits from that type of impact.

What is the 12 gauge secret? light loads, no choke and lead the bird a bit more?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

^^ X2....I've hit them with a 12 and it was a waste. That's why I was asking about the 410....sounds like the 20 is the ticket though....

I use the 410 for grouse and I love it. Trouble is, as people are pointing out to me...they are tougher on the fly. Which I have noticed with my 410. In my case I will continue with the 410, and use a 12 strictly if I am out to enjoy the day with the pooch.

You have to be careful with any shotgun. When people are new to shooting grouse on the wing they shoot too fast....this is why the mod 12 commonly had a poly choke... you could twist it as you changed country..
    when in tight country it is tough with a 12 and that is why a 20 is a stitch better for grouse.

There is an art to shotgunning Grouse, not knowing the art is why so many people think a 12 is bad.... i have shot enough birds with both to know a 12 leaves not much more shot in a bird then a 20 when you hit them... if a bird is in a tree or on the ground,,, you always aim for the head, and pay damned good attention to your distance....

but Albravo,,, The 12ga secret is to wait swing wait shoot.