Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Re: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

If he said he shot one on closing day, would we figure the season was over or assume it was a previous season? ;-P

He has a point though.. some deer especially ones hanging out around roads don't spook easy. I was with my brother blowing off 12 gauges in a gravel pit and we had a doe sneak up on us. Wasn't phased by the blasts at all. I assumed it was deaf.

I read a theory about deer sensory and threat evaluation. If a deer detects up a potential threat by smell, it will likely evade. If a potential threat is detected by sound, it will likely wait to confrim visually or by scent before evading. With visual it will likely wait for sound or scent. Might be true. Anyway, back to grouse...

Region 2 seems to have quite a few. Saw dozens earlier in the summer... gf even got attacked by one. I don't see as many now but still better than average. Last year Region 5 was ridiculous and 3 seemed slow. Glad to hear there's more birds around Kamloops!

I was just wondering. I was excited I could hunt deer with a ruffle already.

I saw a few groups of grouse this past weekend with 4-6 in a group while scouting deer near boston bar.

Too bad they're not legal yet. I probably would have brought home my bag limit.

This is where the shotgun shines. They were clustered together so close that I could've got some doubles and triples with a 12g.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    Can't believe how many grouse especially blue grouse I been seeing this year,,,,,I took drive on my road up in barnhartvale and within 1 km stretch of road counted 36 blues in wide open chasing and feeding on grasshoppers,,,,,,,so I thought I'd take a drive to my huntin spot for whitetail,,,,,and counted another 18 ruffed grouse,,,,,gonna be good year for the peeps huntin birds this year
    Man I hope my Blue spot has a pile of them in there...I can't wait. Good to hear kamloops has kinda bounced back, didn't see many last year, but was a really wet year.

Do grouse even each critters? I thought it was all seeds
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post

In my experience they eat the rose hips. Then you catch them in the morning on the edge of roads picking up gravol to help them digest the hips. I'm sure there is more, but this is what I know.

When I'm cleaning them I always have a look at what the ruffies that I shot have been eating. Often see small insects - ants and beetles.

SB

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Man I hope my Blue spot has a pile of them in there...I can't wait. Good to hear kamloops has kinda bounced back, didn't see many last year, but was a really wet year.

Any reports in Region 2, squamish area?

20ga and 22 user here. Son and I quite enjoy it. The odds of a hit with a 20 ga so far, for us is 100%. Not so with the 22.

Your not the only one. We tried 22's and found we injured quite a few, so we decided to stick with the 12 gauge. I find a 12 gauge with a shorter barrel(18-20") works much better then a bird barrel(26-28"). There is very minimal meat damage if any. Good Luck out there!

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Hope this holds true, and for the Cariboo as well. Looking forward to putting some in the cook pot!

Soooo....hope this isn't a hijack, sorry if it is, BUT....I'm used to shooting grouse with my 22 and have good luck with it. I'm thinking about switching to a 410 so that I can catch the flyers too. I'm thinking 410 rather than 12, just to be a little easier on meat. Opinions?
    12 or 20 ga over dogs is the only way to (let) fly lol
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.