Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Re: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Yup,,,,kamloops just a rockin with grouse this year,,,,,the only singles I been seeing are the old mature males,,,,rest of em are in groups of 3 or more,,,,,,really happy to see this many blues kickin around,,,,,,,,410 is awesome bird gun,,,,,I use a 12 gauge myself,,,,,gives me more lead flying through the air to hit the flyers
    Aim small,,miss small

Just bumped a flock of 10 sharp-tailed grouse yesterday... good sized brood with high survival. Seems like they were feasting on the grasshopper plague. It's been warm & dry here all spring/summer. Hope the ruffies have done just as well.

Although I use a 28 gauge for actual hunting, a .410 is hard to beat for casual grouse pot shooting

I have a 22/.410 for when I'm just "walking the dogs with a gun" but when I'm actually going for them prefer a 20 gauge more lead yet small enough can wing em when they take off. Really looking forward to running the dogs after birds this year is sounding good.... They get excited every time I pick up a boom stick just to move it or clean it.

Was in 5-04/5-05 first week of august out quadding and ran into some 10 plus coveys.Lotsa grouse out thatta way!

Thinking it will be good year for all the game birds,,,,,,,I haven't heard much on the pheasant population yet this year,,,,,,but tons of grouse,,chuckar,quail and European collared doves
    Aim small,,miss small

Yup kamloops is looking great again this year more then normal but i never have a problem finding those birds

How's the peace region looking for grouse this year?
    "The Rocky Mountains are the marrow of the world"

I have a Ruger 10/22 but ended up hogging my friends 410 last season. I wish I had a shotgun legal for hunting, but my only shotty is a 12ga dominion grizzly with an 8 inch barrel... not interchangeable with 870 clones sadly.

A 410/22 over-under would by my ideal dream gun for grouse, but it's gonna be another year with the 22 being the only grouse gun. Too bad I never practiced with the slingshot during the off-season... would be nice to whack those things silently while creeping around for deer. I usually only take grouse opportunistically off the road from point A to point B. I figure even the 22 would spook deer.

I shot at a hare opening day, and a dear another 100m down the road just stood and stared. Food for thought.

Deer open already for riffle ? You said u got a hair and deer.