Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Re: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post

Do grouse even each critters? I thought it was all seeds
    You bet they do...we came upon a shite load a couple of years back and they were so busy chasing grass hoppers they barely paid us any notice untill we started chowdering em...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Perfect timing for the youth hunters in region 8. Remember the youth only grouse season starts sept first.
    Happy plinking some ditch chickens!
    So Grouse are open on the 1st for juniors? Is this just region 8, or am I reading it wrong?
    Taking my son up to Loon Lake (Cache Creek) for his first junior and he loves to plink Grouse but I didn't think they were open?

Disregard this post...I just downloaded the new regs and see they have a region 8 junior for grouse....
    Last edited by Getbent; 08-29-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    12 or 20 ga over dogs is the only way to (let) fly lol

hell ya,
    i have always been amazed at how many people shoot them just to collect them,, 22 and 410
    getting out with the dog and 20 ,,, a buddy or Dad,,,, walking along talkin' about whatever,,,, watching the dog..... Shoot them on the wing.,,, way more fun

Last year I took quite a few birds with the Benjamin trail .22 cal air rifle,,,,head shots,,,,,quiet gun,,,,,perfect for shooting them while deer huntin
    Aim small,,miss small

Seeing lots in here in Region 4, all 3 flavours. This will be my Labs first season of real bird hunting, with more then a single grouse per day! !

Just a few more sleeps!!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    12 or 20 ga over dogs is the only way to (let) fly lol
    Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    hell ya,
    i have always been amazed at how many people shoot them just to collect them,, 22 and 410
    getting out with the dog and 20 ,,, a buddy or Dad,,,, walking along talkin' about whatever,,,, watching the dog..... Shoot them on the wing.,,, way more fun
    I haven't done this before. Would be awesome though. My Lab is a natural for flushing birds. I don't own a 12 or 20 (yet), is this doable with the 410?

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Was in 5-04/5-05 first week of august out quadding and ran into some 10 plus coveys.Lotsa grouse out thatta way!
    We were in 5-04 last year early October for moose. Was 80+ every day, so moose was a no-go....but the grouse! I'm still eating grouse.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Definitely doable with a .410
    Aim small,,miss small

Do able yes but, 410 doesnt pack any punch. Alot of people will dissagree with me, but 28Ga 20Ga and 12Ga are the choices.
    Thing is, when the bird is flying you need shot in the air And powder behind it.

But yes if you are good at it a 410 will work..... just my opinion that a 20Ga is perfect for upland, though i owned a 12 for years before i inherited the 20.....
    If you have a Lab you are that much more ahead!

Hammered my limit of 5 blues on opening day. Nice big legs on these ones. Browning .22 pump action. I'm quite happy we open on the first because the elk hunting was slow.

Yup, that coiler is a personal best...