Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Hybrid View

Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Can't believe how many grouse especially blue grouse I been seeing this year,,,,,I took drive on my road up in barnhartvale and within 1 km stretch of road counted 36 blues in wide open chasing and feeding on grasshoppers,,,,,,,so I thought I'd take a drive to my huntin spot for whitetail,,,,,and counted another 18 ruffed grouse,,,,,gonna be good year for the peeps huntin birds this year
    Aim small,,miss small

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Soooooo many damn grouse!!

Hope this holds true, and for the Cariboo as well. Looking forward to putting some in the cook pot!

Soooo....hope this isn't a hijack, sorry if it is, BUT....I'm used to shooting grouse with my 22 and have good luck with it. I'm thinking about switching to a 410 so that I can catch the flyers too. I'm thinking 410 rather than 12, just to be a little easier on meat. Opinions?
    Last edited by RugDoctor; 08-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Hope this holds true, and for the Cariboo as well. Looking forward to putting some in the cook pot!

Soooo....hope this isn't a hijack, sorry if it is, BUT....I'm used to shooting grouse with my 22 and have good luck with it. I'm thinking about switching to a 410 so that I can catch the flyers too. I'm thinking 410 rather than 12, just to be a little easier on meat. Opinions?
    I prefer the 410. Same way gramps used to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post

12 or 20 ga over dogs is the only way to (let) fly lol
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post

hell ya,
    i have always been amazed at how many people shoot them just to collect them,, 22 and 410
    getting out with the dog and 20 ,,, a buddy or Dad,,,, walking along talkin' about whatever,,,, watching the dog..... Shoot them on the wing.,,, way more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    hell ya,
    i have always been amazed at how many people shoot them just to collect them,, 22 and 410
    getting out with the dog and 20 ,,, a buddy or Dad,,,, walking along talkin' about whatever,,,, watching the dog..... Shoot them on the wing.,,, way more fun
    I haven't done this before. Would be awesome though. My Lab is a natural for flushing birds. I don't own a 12 or 20 (yet), is this doable with the 410?

Definitely doable with a .410
    Aim small,,miss small

Do able yes but, 410 doesnt pack any punch. Alot of people will dissagree with me, but 28Ga 20Ga and 12Ga are the choices.
    Thing is, when the bird is flying you need shot in the air And powder behind it.

But yes if you are good at it a 410 will work..... just my opinion that a 20Ga is perfect for upland, though i owned a 12 for years before i inherited the 20.....
    If you have a Lab you are that much more ahead!

The quail clutches are out of control this summer....perhaps the same for most birds in the southern interior, benefiting from the warm dry spring/summer.

We have been seeing lots of 5-6 and 10+ bird coveys throughout the kamloops area