Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Salmon Candy

Re: Smoked Salmon Candy

I tried this recipe too. I used about 2/3rds of a 22 lb chinook caught up in Port McNeill. Just to deal with my limitations on timing I had mine in the brine for about 36 hours and then laid it out on racks for another 36 hours. It got nicely translucent and I put two pans of smoke to it in my little chief. It's not quite as sweet as I'd like but it's still really good candy.

Will post a few pics this evening.

Thanks for the recipe.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit's Master View Post
    So far, so good.

cwf

Fail! Turned the heat up a bit and it ended up hot smoked and lost that rubbery tranluscence I was hoping for. We WILL try again. It is fabulous smoked salmon though.

Looks like a good job to me.

Hmmm Ed Wilson in Bella Coola made this type of candy....sheesh was like $$$$$ but people bought it like it was crack..the stuff here lookes wicked awesome..
    Srupp

I have been trying to figure out a good recipe all year I have tried dozens. This one is the winner! I made a small batch to try it out and had some buddies over to sample, didn't last 15 minutes. I did modify the drying/cooking times, I put it on rack and hit it with an oscillating fan on high for two hours then put in the smoker at 100 for 1 hour 130 for two hours then 150 for three hours and it turned out just right.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, this one is going in the book!

I often dry the fish before putting it in the smoker by having a large fan blowing across for an hour. Removes the surface moisture. Sometimes I spritz the strips with a slurry of Worcestershire, soy and brown sugar. This time I just brushed on maple syrup after brining and little drying time. The most important thing is to never over heat the fish. That cooks it and spoils it IMO. You never get that slightly chewy texture if you over heat.

I have a batch of sockeye in now. This time I used some Kosher salt that I had. I did't check, but I hope that all the males were circumcised.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    I often dry the fish before putting it in the smoker by having a large fan blowing across for an hour. Removes the surface moisture. Sometimes I spritz the strips with a slurry of Worcestershire, soy and brown sugar. This time I just brushed on maple syrup after brining and little drying time. The most important thing is to never over heat the fish. That cooks it and spoils it IMO. You never get that slightly chewy texture if you over heat.

I have a batch of sockeye in now. This time I used some Kosher salt that I had. I did't check, but I hope that all the males were circumcised.
    Fully agree, drying is most important and not over cooking.

Looks awesome! Will definitely be trying this soon. I've never done the drying trick, sounds like the key!
    North Arm Knives | High Grade Knives Designed and Made in British Columbia
    Hunting BC forum sponsor |BCWF Affinity partner | Resident priority supporter
    http://northarmknives.com/
    info@northarmknives.com

Tried it last week. Recipe worked out great. Dried it for 24 hrs with the fan on full bore. Fish is completely translucent. Good stuff. For candy it could be a bit sweeter. Coach said brushing with honey while smoking might help that.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I've got a batch to go in tomorrow afternoon, I kind of combined this recipe and the one in the bradley recipe book, well see how she goes, anything will be better than the last batch I fell asleep and ruined though.

followed the recipe to a tee it was awesome!!! thx so much btw I agree with drying for 24hrs!!
    look sharp be sharp