Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: headlamps/ whats everyone using?

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

headlamps/ whats everyone using?

Im looking for a good headlamp for hunting season. Whats everyone using? Ive been using the cheapies, but would love to step it up to a good bright headlamp. Let me know what you guys out there use? Batteries, rechargeable, brands, lumens, I want to know it all! Thanks in advance, Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: headlamps/ whats everyone using?

petzals....

have had them for a coon's age, since before all the cool kid's got them.
    no complaints at all.
    super impressed with how they've lasted.
    and they came with extra bulbs inside.

a brand I'm not impressed with is streamlight.
    not the headlamp though, but their torch.
    awesome lamp and everything, but it's seen very, very little use and all three main bulbs just quit outta the blue.
    the low beam is fine and all the green bulbs both low and high.

Black Diamond is what I have been using for about 7 years now. ($30 - $70). I have two. One with 3 AA batteries for around camp. It has 4 brightness settings. One is freakin blinding! When Im out in the tree stands or guiding I have another smaller one with a red LED capability. (its nice on your eyes) It runs on two AAA batteries - it had three levels of brightness plus the red light. Both of them give me loads of run time on the lower settings with regular , Duracel, Energizer etc batteries. I read all about lumens and all that but the more of those you have the faster your batteries die. Surefire for instance, tried it... waste of time and $$. Expensive, eats batteries - you have to carry a pound of them on any trip. That stuff was made for tactical guns in close quarter combat not practical use. Cool factor = 10. Practical factor = 1. I mean what good is a light that you have to replace the batteries in the dark every 20 mins?! PIA!!! I recommend any light with lower to mid range lumen ratings.
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Petzal Tikka. Light, batteries last forever and not overly pricey. But they don't have a "long distance" beam that lights up a hundred yards ahead of you. Plenty to see far enough in front you to hike but not enough for pit lamping.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Fenix. Hp11. Best headlamp. Long beam, four power settings. 277 lumens on high setting.waterproof.

x2 on the fenix, hands down the best I've ever had and used.
    i didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a friggin vegatarian

Used three over last few years. Currently Princeton Tec model runs on lithium or rechargeables 3AAA sized. Lightweight, good spot beam as well as diffuser. Light on the head too. Just sold a Petzl MyoXP. Super bright on high, beam distance was a good 80m, ran on 3 AA so heavier unless you used lithium batteries. Prior to those two was a Black Diamond model, now out of production. Also good value and light, but not as durable. My next lamp choice will be a Petzl Tikka XP. Great beam distance, especially with the 10 second boost button, and I like the colour of the light better than my Princeton Tec. Beam distance is slightly better too. My hunting buddy uses one, and with side by side comparison, I'd choose the Petzl Tikka XP.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

next to a nice fishing hole on the Horsefly

Petal all the way. Used them for years. They know have a USB rechargeable one that once dead you can replace rechargeable battery with triple a's when in field. Then for everyday use throw the rechargable battery pack back in