Thread: I'm trying to think of ways to cook up Deer steak

Cool Re: I'm trying to think of ways to cook up Deer steak

Quote Originally Posted by .30 Rem Shooter
    because, Amanda, I didn't want to.
    I like this guys attitude
    Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed

Re: I'm trying to think of ways to cook up Deer steak

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy
    The last time I checked we had a full time moderator who cooked in his spare time away from the computer.

I'd imagine he'd have some half decent recipes.

Gatehouse where are you??????????????????????????????????
    Hmmm...I usually don't post on recipe threads much because I dont' really follow exact recipes except when baking, or doing something for one of the restaurants

But for deer steaks- as in nice tender steaks, not shoulder pot roasts or anything...I liek to make a simple marinade of whatever suits my fancy that day. Usually some olive oil, some lemon juice or vinegar, some garlic, chilis, -whatever. SOmetimes cumin or paprkia. Then I grill them medium rare and serve with some sort of compound butter.

I'll also grill them and serve them wiht a red wine and shallot reduction, or pan fry until medium rare, set aside to rest, add chooped shallot and mushrooms, (chantrelles work great) add some demi glace and cream, reduce and you have a nice mushroom sauce.

Sometimes I'll just serve them wiht BBQ sauce, either homemade or Cattlemans.

Venison steaks wiht a curry sauce is good, too, but generlaly when I make curries I am using a otugher piece of meat and braising it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    Hmmm...I usually don't post on recipe threads much because I dont' really follow exact recipes except when baking, or doing something for one of the restaurants

But for deer steaks- as in nice tender steaks, not shoulder pot roasts or anything...I liek to make a simple marinade of whatever suits my fancy that day. Usually some olive oil, some lemon juice or vinegar, some garlic, chilis, -whatever. SOmetimes cumin or paprkia. Then I grill them medium rare and serve with some sort of compound butter.

I'll also grill them and serve them wiht a red wine and shallot reduction, or pan fry until medium rare, set aside to rest, add chooped shallot and mushrooms, (chantrelles work great) add some demi glace and cream, reduce and you have a nice mushroom sauce.

Sometimes I'll just serve them wiht BBQ sauce, either homemade or Cattlemans.

Venison steaks wiht a curry sauce is good, too, but generlaly when I make curries I am using a otugher piece of meat and braising it.
    I am yet to see any of these dishes on the menu at Dublin Gate?? They would get my ass out of Creekside and up to the Village in a heartbeat!!

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy
    I am yet to see any of these dishes on the menu at Dublin Gate?? They would get my ass out of Creekside and up to the Village in a heartbeat!!
    There is a reason I odn't put them on the menu...mostly to keep riff raff out.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

No such thing as a bad deer steak. Play around a little.

ALL GOOOOOD!

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

mustard pepper on one side cranberry and bbq other side
    holy underwear

marinade them in a mixture of molasses, water and egg for about 45 minutes, coat them in bread crumbs, and pan-fry them.....mmm mmm good!

I saw the cooking segment on Canada in the Rough a couple of weeks ago and tried the marinade he used it was AWSOME!! He might have elaborated a bit but this is the basic idea (I never follow a recipe to a T)

Mix a shot of wiskey and an equal amount of real maple syrup salt and pepper the meat and marinade for a few hours before cooking and baste it a couple of times with the marinade just before it's done. The roast I did was excellent and I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good with steak.

Rod
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    I saw the cooking segment on Canada in the Rough a couple of weeks ago and tried the marinade he used it was AWSOME!! He might have elaborated a bit but this is the basic idea (I never follow a recipe to a T)

Mix a shot of wiskey and an equal amount of real maple syrup salt and pepper the meat and marinade for a few hours before cooking and baste it a couple of times with the marinade just before it's done. The roast I did was excellent and I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good with steak.

Rod
    You have to be careful abotu using marinades and saces wiht sugar in it when grilling or coking wiht high heat.

The high heat can scorch the sugars, turning them past nice caramelization, and make it very, very bitter.

Nothing is nastier than burnt sugar...

If you use a marinade wiht suger when cooking a steak, keep the heat low.

simple marinade I always use.....can of beer, 2 oz of good brandy,splash in worcheshter sauce, a bit of vinager, some garlic ( fresh and crushed), montreal steak spice and olive oil. Add water to cover meat then let sit 24-36 hours. MMMMMMMMelts in your mouth.
    It'd look better on "my" wall!!