Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tents

Tents

Ok kids, Lookin for a new tent. Mine is getting old and embarrassing - the duct tape repairs are getting heavy. Looking for: 2 person, backpacking, alpine, - it prolly wont be going on a extreme sheep hunts in Alaska.... $400. Been doing some reading, just having trouble making the choice. What do you all recommend?
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tents

MSR, or Mountain hardware. Ive had my MSR since 05, held up great again this year.
    MSR, are guaranteed for life

Someone on here had a Hilleberg for sale a while back. Can't remember the exact price but I've heard nothing but great things about those tents.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I love my Stratospire 2. at only 3 lbs, and taking only a minute to setup. Stood up excellent to the really heavy weather. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the TarpTent products.

Hilleberg ......
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    I love my Stratospire 2. at only 3 lbs, and taking only a minute to setup. Stood up excellent to the really heavy weather. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the TarpTent products.
    Id have to agree Tarptents are the best bang for your buck!

Sierra Designs makes quality backpacking tents. They make some of the lightest tents on the market because they don't add a fly. They use high-tech lightweight waterproof fabric and line up the opening for good ventilation.

I bought one in 1990 that is basically an oversized bivy that weighs 2lbs 2ozs with poles. I paid about $300 for it then and it may be the best value of any piece of equipment I ever bought. I was looking at their new models and they have some nice ones at very competitive prices.

I have 3 backpacking tents a Sierra Design, Mountain Hardware and a Big Agnes. The Big Agnes is the newest one and haven't had it out too much, but it is really lightweight, not sure how well it would hold up in a big wind storm. Personally I think Mountain Hardware makes the best tents out there for your price range. Don't have any experience with Hillberg, but I've heard good things, but then your talking big big money.

I have an MSR Hubba Hubba HP - you need to search high and low for the HP version but worth it. They still sell them in Europe but not in North America. It is considered the high wind/rain version of the Hubba Hubba.

*** KUIU tents - recall is already happening, 1 in 3 leaks from what I hear and they have pulled them from the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    I have an MSR Hubba Hubba HP - you need to search high and low for the HP version but worth it. They still sell them in Europe but not in North America. It is considered the high wind/rain version of the Hubba Hubba.

*** KUIU tents - recall is already happening, 1 in 3 leaks from what I hear and they have pulled them from the website.
    oooohhhh................... Hope I get lucky with mine. So far no leaks in heavy rain.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....