Thread: Brittany dogs

Brittany dogs

Hi All.Going to receive our new Brittany pup here around Nov. I've done a lot of research over three years on different ways of training.
    I have a tone of questions but will root through the old forums first before I ask.The one question I have now is,I would like our new dog to be able to ride on the quad so we can get to the higher hunting grounds.(Crated and secure of course) Have any of you done this? can it be done? and if yes I would like some tips on how to go about this. ................Thanks in advance.
    He who laughs last,thinks the slowest.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Brittany dogs

Yep I do it all the time I secure a med size dog crate to the rear rack then put a tote on top of it for decoys and gear simple and works very well. Works very well. CaveBear on this form has a dog box he designed and built for 2 dogs on a quad.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I've never actually seen one in a crate on a quad but I've seen many farmers running around with a dog or two perched on the quad.

I assume its like kids... we used to fill the bed of the pickup with those that wouldn't fit standing up in the cab but now its a safety belt if not a full car seat for everyone.

Its dumb, it isn't safe, someone could get hurt. But it used to be OK.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Hey guys , thankyou for your input and I will work with the pup to get him used to it .

I started my brittany at 9 weeks old riding on my lap on my quad.He's 15 months old now.I don't use a crate, I do alot of chukar hunting in calif. & nevada.Steep & rough roads i want my dog on the back to jump off if I have a problem and roll my quad. Just the way i feel about it.I have seen other hunters with crates, but most don't. My dog sees me coming out of my house with a gun, he's on the quad ready to go.This is the way i did it.They learn fast. Hope this helps.

Thanks bromero.I have talked to a few guys and they said both ways will work if started young.

The cheap way....
    Dad took a recycle bin and bolted it to the front rack.... he then secued a leash to the bottom so that the dog could sit but not jump out..... he was a member of a Quad club and took her for rides all the time...
    now Piper just sits in the bucket.... My buddy has a Wire hair pointing Griffon that rides on the seat that is not to be used as a seat!

The only thing that makes me wonder about securing a carrier on the bike is if that one off accident happens the dog cant jump....