Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilometers 2014 scouting and hunting

Kilometers 2014 scouting and hunting

Inspired by others on this forum I decided to make one thread of my 2014 hunting and scouting which I will up date as the season progresses

2014 started out with a big change, the birth of my first child a beautiful future huntress. Defiantly a game changer but me and the wife both said it won't slow us down much, and our outdoor life must continue. Camping at a month old, swatting Mosquitos on the river bank and walking the dogs every day life has been good to me.

Bow season sept 1-9 any bull is fast approaching practise practise practise. I shoot everyday at 10 yards In my basement practising form and building muscle. I try to get out and do some long range at the mother Inlaws. Once a week She thinks I'm coming to visit but really I just want to shoot my bow. Only a year in I am confident to 30 yards
    First target is 30 yard large target at 50yards

broad head at 30( I learned to only shoot one at a time )

field points at 50 yard 3 almost touching and the rest I blame on the wind

I have been checking some close to town swamps but have yet to see even a cow. I did find a set of cow and calf tracks comin down off the mtn headed to one of my areas.

Two bucks well headed out on a dog walk
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kilometers 2014 scouting and hunting

Spent the weekend up north clearing trail to my sept bow hunt area. I will have 3 full days to hunt this area during the sept 1 bow only season. We seen lots of moose in this area last September Bow hunting but the bulls always seemed to be on the other side of the river. This year we are trying the other side and it is actually a new area to me seperated by the river. Seen lotsa moose pop and tracks, some bear tracks and a set of monster wolf tracks.

Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

beauty, good luck
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Great spot! Difficult access!

Thats some nice pics and great looking spot.

Looks good you are getting a good start on having everything in place for a successful hunting season ,,good luck this year..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

So like most of us I debated about keeping the post going but figured what the hell I ain't got anything to lose.

I took the Friday off for the sept bow only season, convinced my dad and bro to do the same and a plan was set in stone. i left the wife and kid at home and we were off Thursday afterwork. But first I figured I needed some extra home security so I but my daughter her first gun. A beauty Remington .00022 magnum with 3 x 40 tasco scope

we made it to our destination with enough time to grab a twisted tea and head to the ridge for a quick scout. The atv ride in took longer then expected but we were able to spot two moose eating in a meadow before sun down. Their was no sheet of plywood on the heads but possibly a spiker. A plan was set to approach that meadow the next morning.

Up a little later then expected but left camp around 6 am. A ninja like atv ride dodging branches on the overgrown trail and we were ready to begin our first day of bow season. Parked the quads and down over the bank, quietly into the first of many meadows and bam. A cow moose around the first bend literally a 100 feet from the quads. Pumped this is what it's about. Where's the bull !!!

of course the sneaky critter new we were their and a standoff began. We waited until she was comfy. My dad raking some trees to seem like a bull. She starts feeding again. And we slowly sneak closer anxiously looking for accompanying bull

Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

No bull with the cow but she actually walked right towards us unspooked and into the meadow beside us. Thinking she was gone we started to move. The damn ice was 15 yards away in the meadow beside is seperated by a small group of trees. She spooked and ran about 20 yards and the slowly walked into the thick stuff eating away.
    Wow that was cool and a great start. We're hunting boys.
    My dad pumped decides to climb a tree and wait to see if a bull emerges. Me and my bro decide to proceed to the meadow we seen the 2 moose the day before.

After a decent walk and some gps guidance we make it to the Meadow we were looking for. A beauty spot. We spot a home built tree stand and my bro decides he is calling if home for the day. I decide to press on to the next meadow that has a small lake and have seen many moose in, in previous years.
    The day becomes hot a the sun burns the cloud cover off. Dammit to hot for anything to be moving

The day goes by no movement siting waiting for the sun to set. It's hot. Cookin. I fell sleep in the shade of an alder bush. I awake. Head pounding face sun burnt chest have burnt from my open button up shirt. The damn sun moved around the tee and burnt the shit outta me. That was stupid. On the first day. The full face mask goes on to protect my face, all of my face paint waren off from the sweat
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

The sun sets my bro and I talk on the radio and make a meeting point. We begin the walk out and meet at the edge of another meadow, we decide to sit it out and wait a bit. My bro sees movement I don't believe him. I turn around and see a beauty wolf nice full white face and grey back runing threw the meadow. I didn't think they liked the thick brush but their one is. Holy crap I was just sleeping in the other meadow. That's pretty brave.
    My bro does a mock predater call it stops and stares. I knock up an arrow. This is awesome!! The wolf is about 50 yards away, the closest I have ever been to a big wolf. It moves into the thick outta sight. My bro grabs a blade of grass to try doin a call. The grass is to dry and dosnt work. We can here the wolf leaving to the meadow I was just in.
    no shot. We walk out and meet up with my dad. What a great day it was. I love hunting. That's what's it's all about. We walk out in the dark And make it to the quads and find a business card from a conservation officer.

It has a hand written note " thanks for not driving your atv of the road. Happy hunting!!"
    we were wondering why someone drove a atv all the way in just to leave again. ( I should add their is a atv trail going down into the swamp)
    Sounds like their cracking down on off road atv use.
    Day 1 is over. What a day.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06