Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: public hunting land

Re: public hunting land

Quote Originally Posted by asherriff View Post
    thanks. I will keep looking. If it is a crown Lease for grazing would it be posted? I don't have these areas where I live and will be exploring a new zone this year that appears to have some of these pink areas.
    My understanding is that grazing 'leases' are actually fairly rare Province-wide, however some areas, such as around Kamloops, seem to have a lot of them.

Some are posted and some are not. However, I believe the same rules of private land apply, that being if the land is 'enclosed' (ie. fenced, posted and/or cultivated), then you need permission to access.

It is best to just check the link that Doostien posted above - the crown leases are clearly shown.
    Last edited by ARC; 09-04-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Re: public hunting land

To all hunters. In reference to above comments and inquiries.
    There are grazing leases and there are grazing licences. Grazing licences are labeled and start with the three letters "RAN" (Range Agreement Number) Majority of the BC crown land is range lands covered by these 15 to 25 year renewal tenures that are fenced but also open to recreational activities to the general public a shared resource for all. The best common sense is respect for all fencelines and gates. Leave it as you found it. Access is not restricted on range tenures and are not posted by tenure holders. However, there are some instances where some tenure holders do post their crown range and do confuse their licenses as leases. So the best is to make sure that you know your aarea that you are hunting in and to make sure that you know that there are those three letters that are ahead of the ran number.

Now Grazing leases are an entirely different entity that should be respected by all. All grazing leases do not start with the three letters "RAN" but by numbers. All leases are renewable every 21yrs with a management plan. The biggest difference is that all leasee's pay a annual tax in addition to their forage fee. Every lease is not the same and some are different from each other. Access to these leases are restricted and require leasee permission. Should these leases be posted, ranchers can then charge all trespassers under the Trespass Act. There are a number of leases south of PG but there are a number in the Peace area and the size of leases vary. On the land status maps acquired at Corlanes are highlighted in a particular colour. It is the hunters responsibility to know where they are located and not crossing into these leases. I have been informed from local ranchers that most hunters are not shooting or taking signs and dropping them on the ground but rather taking them with them when they go through the fencelines and gates. Should you find gates locked at a lease access point then they are allowed to do so. The other issue is that some hunters are even cutting fences to gain access without consideration. This is now leading to ranchers closing their private lands and/or leases to all future hunting even if they complain about the wildlife impacts and want something to do about it. It is those that have lower ethics and morals that are impacting all others.
    Community pastures. Check your regulations and know where they are and where the boundaries are that are closed to hunting and when they are open. Some do not allow hunting at all and are posted at the entrances to the pasture.