Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: public hunting land

Re: public hunting land

I wrote this on another thread but I'll post it here. Hopefully I wrote it clearly enough to help someone. It will show private property and leases, I'm not sure if there is another layer for other 'No Hunting' areas, but I imagine there is somewhere.

http://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/sv/imapbc/

Zoom in on the area, select:

(At the top left of the screen)

Maps & Data Sources:

Add DataBC Layer:

Land Ownership and Status
    -Crown Leases
    -Lease Tenures <----Check this box.

Then again:
    Add DataBC Layer:

-Ownership Layer
    -INtegrated Cadastral Fabric-Private Ownership <----Check this box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post
    where is the crown and private option ? cant seem to locate it in the menu

Thanks, Dog_River
    click Places on the left middle menu then scroll down near the bottom and check private lands

Quote Originally Posted by Doostien View Post
    I wrote this on another thread but I'll post it here. Hopefully I wrote it clearly enough to help someone. It will show private property and leases, I'm not sure if there is another layer for other 'No Hunting' areas, but I imagine there is somewhere.

http://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/sv/imapbc/

Zoom in on the area, select:

(At the top left of the screen)

Maps & Data Sources:

Add DataBC Layer:

-Crown Leases
    -Lease Tenures <----Check this box.

Then again:
    Add DataBC Layer:

-Ownership Layer
    -INtegrated Cadastral Fabric-Private Ownership <----Check this box.

So the areas in white unless in a community are crown land that we can hunt on?

Quote Originally Posted by BraveKnight View Post
    So the areas in white unless in a community are crown land that we can hunt on?
    Its a safe bet to assume so. Though before you hunt an area check for signage those options won't show things like city limits, no shooting areas, ecological reserves etc. But those areas should be signed quite well with 'official' signs.

I've never worried about checking a map for public land.

Assuming you aren't in a densely populated area you should have a good sense if the land is private or not. Houses, livestock, fences all indicate ownership.

If you get out of town a ways and find yourself some old back roads you should be fine.

Per the regs, posted (No Hunting), planted, or fenced areas are off limits.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

If it ain`t fenced,posted or under cultivation or has a building then hunt away.Drive forestry roads.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

question... on the Google earth download... what are the "Crown" areas in pink? are they grazing leases? If so, are they open to hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I've never worried about checking a map for public land.

Assuming you aren't in a densely populated area you should have a good sense if the land is private or not. Houses, livestock, fences all indicate ownership.

If you get out of town a ways and find yourself some old back roads you should be fine.

Per the regs, posted (No Hunting), planted, or fenced areas are off limits.
    There are thousands of miles of fence on public land. Most are for grazing leases, many of which may be active or expired. There are also many fences that obstruct unconstructed legal road right of ways that are meant to provide access corridors to public land beyond.

That's why ownership maps are great; I use many of these fenced off accesses to go where others probably wouldn't. I typically carry a legal property map with me in these situations as it has resolved disputes with people who think I'm trespassing.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Quote Originally Posted by asherriff View Post
    question... on the Google earth download... what are the "Crown" areas in pink? are they grazing leases? If so, are they open to hunting?
    The pink areas are surveyed crown parcels. However, just because they are crown does not mean they are necessarily open to hunting. As noted above, make sure to check they are not crown leases - I think someone pointed out where to find this layer above.

Also, I believe Indian Reserves will show up as the pink 'Crown Land', but public access is obviously restricted in these areas.

thanks. I will keep looking. If it is a crown Lease for grazing would it be posted? I don't have these areas where I live and will be exploring a new zone this year that appears to have some of these pink areas.