Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Decent Typical

Re: A Decent Typical

Yea, early morning long distance grainy pics certainly don't do him justice. He's going to be in that mid 170 to 180 range. Big Boar nailed the safe score IMO. Tall & narrow bucks are always hard to judge. They are deceiving because the eyes seem to focus on the lack of width rather than length of tines. His G2's are exceptional and the mains sweep in the same path as his G4's giving the impression of being crab forked but the buck actually has decent fronts on him.

Jelly, I've been watching this buck for several years now. And nope, I didn't start watching him as a fawn. 2 years ago he was 160ish. Last year 170ish. He is still young. Will be interesting to see what he does in the next few years. He spends a lot of time on private. I don't suspect he has much of a chance of being harvested by a hunter.

steve your the expert on the North of Kammy wildlife.
    Up the valley of hunting and fishing, the semi wilds into the wilderness.
    I believe you and it iz hard to guess from a picture and it's hard to put the pop can beside the base when the awesome mule buck is still alive.
    I figure most medium size mule deer buck would have a 18 inch ear spread out. I know huge bucks I have heard over 22, whoa,
    Hard to tell the actual score but anyone can tell it's a wall hanger
    Jel ( Keep up the great thread ) Dana -- mule deer inspire the hunter --

Jel : do you post these posts to get a rise out of folks ? I am sure you know darn well that any decent sized mulie is 22-26 " inside spread and the wide ones can go considerably wider .
    I will agree that not only is it hard to score a buck from a photo but the high ones are even more so ... I would have thought that that one was closer to 160 ish but Dana has seen it up close and has seen enough big bucks to know the difference .

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

Field judging can be diffy cult to acquire. But over time and sightings mule deer hunters up here in Kamloops, north to Little Fort area, north and south of Clearwater who've hunted there all their lives for big mules can have a good idea if the buck could make the minimum score for the books, when they catch a glimpse of the bucks crown.
    From the side view you can tell the balance and length of each bank.
    How even it is on both sides is very important for making and keeping points made.
    When a buck has a big body it could make the antlers appear like a good set in size, but they could be much larger than what first meets your eyes. BOOM!
    Jelvis ( Mule Deer ) Buckaroo -- Likin Park
    Last edited by Jelvis; 08-13-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: in the end It doesn't even matter I had to fall to lose it all