Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta pronghorn hunt

Re: Alberta pronghorn hunt

I have been hearing the same horn size reports as TJ mentioned. Lots of average bucks with just
    A sprinkle of really big ones.

According to new research hypothesis, this all makes sense. Apparently the most important factor in horn size is the health
    of the mother during pregnancy. Pronghorns born after a hard winter are unlikely to ever achieve exceptional horn size. While i hoped that this year would prove better for horn size, I suspect that based on this theory that.2015 is going to be much better.

Srupp, try out those kneepads before commiting to them. Most kneepads are not meant for crawling and can quickly become very uncomfortable. Personally I use loose fitting regular volleyball kneepads covered with some leather.

Hi Steven,
    Have a great hunt. Looking forward to story and photos. I've always thought pronghorns were very cool!
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Thumbs up Re: Alberta pronghorn hunt

Best of Luck Steve!

Hope to soon see you appearing with a Huge Grin in a picture similar to this:

Have FUN Buddy! Right looking forward to the pictures & report!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Goatdancer..using a .270 Browning A bolt that was worked over by Alberta tactical..usong Hornady 140 grain boat tails..hand loads...the rifle was shooting 1 inch groups at 200 yars using a lead sled..
    Its 2 inches high at 200 yards..no holover out to 400 yards..hmm used this rifle for 13 yesrs or so..
    Scope is Leupold 3...10 x
    It has taken 10 years for the priority to draw this tag...
    Thanks
    Steven
    Our first hunt took about that long to get. We hunted down in the extreme south east corner and the wind was pretty brutal down there. Have a good hunt.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

hmmm thanks guys will do...going to try my best...really what we have is a tag...and then do our best..6 days does not give much time...but all we need is 2 pronghorn...Blaze and me..with the famous Alberta hunter host Springer..

very thank ful for the opportunity...
    cheers
    Elmer

Six days is actually a pretty long time. The great thing about antelope is that they are typically quite visible and you are hunting all day..unlike deer or elk where you only get a few hours a day. I'd say most hunts only go a day or two, especially if you are able to scout a bit. Put lots of miles on the truck for a couple days of scouting, find a qualified candidate and kill opening morning is the best case scenario. After that they do get a bit run around.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Six days is actually a pretty long time. The great thing about antelope is that they are typically quite visible and you are hunting all day..unlike deer or elk where you only get a few hours a day. I'd say most hunts only go a day or two, especially if you are able to scout a bit. Put lots of miles on the truck for a couple days of scouting, find a qualified candidate and kill opening morning is the best case scenario. After that they do get a bit run around.
    We got to look around a bit for 1 day before the season opened and they didn't seem too sketchy so we thought we had it made. After day 2 the critters were always on the run. Good advise to try get one opening morning. We asked the locals why the critters turned so sketchy and they told us that most of the time there's only half a dozen vehicles a day on the road but when the season kicks in all of a sudden there are dozens all day. Made for a lot of white butts hightailing it over the rise at 25-40 mph.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Hmmmm thank you to everyone for your experiences, knowlge, advice and well wishes..its to bed and leaving at 530 am sept 26..scouting 27...28..hunting starts 29..
    I do appreciate 3,000 hits and I havnt left the house...im in good hands we have good gear, now we just have to try...and catch a break...
    Will post photos and results..may not be imediatly as I leave the day I get back from the pronghorn hunt for my 2 week moose hunt leh locally. Then a couple weeks for knee surgery and then leh deer hunt..
    Thanks again to everyone..
    Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmm thank you to everyone for your experiences, knowlge, advice and well wishes..its to bed and leaving at 530 am sept 26..scouting 27...28..hunting starts 29..
    I do appreciate 3,000 hits and I havnt left the house...im in good hands we have good gear, now we just have to try...and catch a break...
    Will post photos and results..may not be imediatly as I leave the day I get back from the pronghorn hunt for my 2 week moose hunt leh locally. Then a couple weeks for knee surgery and then leh deer hunt..
    Thanks again to everyone..
    Cheers
    Steven
    Kinda busy this fall Mr Rupp??

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    The first time I hunted antelope, the hunt lasted 45mins on opening morning.
    400+yds.