Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snipe hunting

snipe hunting

We've been seeing lots of snipe, going to give them a go this fall, is just like woodcock hunting from what we can see, can't wait to fill another limit of upland bird. Does anyone else hunt them specifically?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: snipe hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    We've been seeing lots of snipe, going to give them a go this fall, is just like woodcock hunting from what we can see, can't wait to fill another limit of upland bird. Does anyone else hunt them specifically?
    Snipe are Migratory Game Birds make sure you have your "Duck Stamp". I like to shoot them over the Spaniels great work for a flushing dog.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 08-08-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Yep them and woodcock being the only upland/waterfowl game I believe, I love how they flush at your feet straight up and straight away, surprised not many hunt them for the challenge and uniqueness of the hunt.

On a somewhat related note, Aberdeen Canadian Tire has Imperial 12ga ammo, 1 1/8oz of #5,#6, #7 Steel loads at 1450fps i think they were. At least as of yesterday they did anyways. Should be just right for them curious little birds.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

I will be getting some of that thanks for the update, cant wait for a spot of snipe hunting this fall, we have been seeing lots

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

For such a diminutive looking little bird they have remarkably large and tasty breasts.

Are Snipe the same bird that Yankees call a Timberdoodle?

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

No, but they're cousins. Timberdoodles are wood cocks. Woodcocks have very short necks. Compared to woodcocks, snipes have smaller heads and eyes, slender bodies and a neck. Snipes wear distinctive dark stripes on their heads and backs. Beaks are longer. Males, females and juveniles look alike.

Yes the woodcock or timberdoodle, thee woodcock is only an eastern north America bird, I have pursued them in ontario which was a blast, but the Wilson's snipe is just as fun a game, flushing at the foot or on point and zig zagging away at highspeed

Saw a few of them around Quesnel last season.Long legs on them?