Thread: Anticosti Island - November 2013

Anticosti Island - November 2013

Here is the story of our hunting trip to the island from 22 to 27 November 2013 in the Lac Croche in SEPAQ Anticosti. It was, for almost everyone, our first trip to the island. We were a group of 5 buddies in the small rustic cottage located in an area of 89km2. A dense wood, beautiful walking trails, snow and, the rut, what better way for a successful trip.

DAY 1 - The first day proved to be a day of exploration for half of the group and the other half, a long walk on a path which joined two major road in the area. From our side, we decided to visit the bottom of the area because according to some, several large bucks have been seen in previous the previous weeks. On our side, exploration was not paying too much, not a single track that worth to linger. For cons, the side of the other two boys, the long walk paid off. Halfway, a nice big 6 points appeared in front trail. Discharge of the Tikka T3 .300 Alex has cooled the ardor of the deer.

DAY 2 - After a good night's sleep and a day of exploration, it was time to visit the trails we had spotted on the map the night before. I chose a path that seemed promising. I was the first to disembark from the vehicle and I was very confident. I walked slowly into the snow that had fallen during the night when a large male 8 point trot out with the nose near the ground. I've heard that whatever animal, or a good old Eil Wo could do to stop and give a chance to shoot. That's what I did and the result was perfect, a beast on the ground, no pain! We now had two beautiful bucks. I called my companions on the CB, I had about 500 feet in the trail so no need to tell you that it was not very far, he had let another guy in the next trail. After telling the story, relaxed a bit, the guys are left with deer and I went on my way. Some minutes later, a shot from close to me was to hear. It was obviously my compatriot who had fired on his first big game to life, unfortunately, the deer was found. In the afternoon, Alex shot his second buck, a nice big 4 points that went to die far away in the woods, hard to get out because the density of the wood, it was a real Olympic event.

DAY 3 - Festival of the female, for some, no horn yet seen. Math has taken a spike in the morning, Junior, a female. This morning I decided to go again the path where I kill my 8, I crossed a spike, wich I didnt shoot. I took the decision not to fire on anything other than buck at least 4 points or more, that I did not ultimately respected. Will for his part, shot his first deer of the trip, a female. All this happened during our distribution early afternoon, we were all together, a beautiful moment. The end of the day was marked by a long walk on my part that allowed me to cross paths with a nice big 5 points which was very stable still eating in a tree, unfortunately, opening my camera, m 'saw is gone and I take unsuccessfully passed below. I did fire on a beautiful female end of the day, good meat in perspective.

Day 4 - Last day, fatigue is present, to make sure the gas station to fill up the gas truck and take the opportunity to see the country. Math decides to clean the cottage and hunt around the cottage. Will and I had decided to go off and hunt trails in-explore around the chalet. We came across a beautiful line of scratching, we then realized that we would have to visit this corner out. Nothing seen, we continued our journey. We ended the morning with a female. It was really a beautiful day. In the afternoon, we went for a walk in a truck, cross the biggest buck of the trip, which did not neither one nor two and took the wood. Old bucks, whether or not on Anticosti include still a truck, it's not safe!

The 27th was the storm. Our flight was canceled, so we had SEPAQ relocate with another hunter in mobile homes of the university is research on the island. It was good fun to to take a shower because after four days without a shower in a rustic camp, no need to tell you how much comfort in the shower was eagerly awaited. It was officially my best hunting experience in life. I recommend it to all. Anticosti is officially the dream of a lifetime.
    <br>
    More photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ffranck...7638219373866/
    Last edited by FGTV; 08-15-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Video added

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anticosti Island - November 2013

Anticosti 1983

Surprised to see someone from Quebec posting on a B.C. forum!

Always cool to learn from people in the same country but 5000km far from me.

So, looking at your pic collection it seems that you were in a petting zoo with guns. Best of luck with the Elk hunt!
    See you down the road

The pictures show a "cool" hunt. Snow is always nice to hunt in.

Sounds like you "et les gars" had a great trip. How long did it take to get from Rimouski to Anticosti?
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Sounds like a great time was had by all!!
    Thanks for sharing your adventure.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Philcott View Post
    The pictures show a "cool" hunt. Snow is always nice to hunt in.

Sounds like you "et les gars" had a great trip. How long did it take to get from Rimouski to Anticosti?
    From Rimouski, QC to Anticosti you have to take the truck for 30 minutes to Mont-Joli, then fly to the island wich is a 45 minutes flight.

Pretty awesome place