Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose around ootsa lake?

Re: Moose around ootsa lake?

Is the wolf population still high up there? Planning on heading up there for moose in a few weeks. First time up that way any advice?

Was at Jim smith point doing some layout last summer. There 3 weeks in total. Saw 1 deer. Lots of grouse and rabbits though. Some moose poop to but not much. Did see several wolves as well.....

Thanks for the info tinhorse. Did u access that area by boat or plane?

Bump
    Any recent intel on this area?

Quote Originally Posted by dime acres View Post
    Just trying to get some plans together for the fall. We have looked at the Ootsa lake area. Does anyone have anything that they would like to share about the area and the moose population?

There has been some wolf cullls in recent years, it appears to be less wolf sign and more moose sign from working in the area in the last 10 years in general. There is also some burns from about 3-4 years ago that should be helping the moose

I know a group of guy's they go every year and get there moose. They have gone for the opening aswell and are successful.

Lots of burnt areas and lots of wolf sign.

I haven’t been over there in a number of years now, but I do know the wolf cull the past couple has helped a lot. Last winter they were targeting 100 wolves, and ended up with 70’some, they made headway I believe.

I get up into that area pretty much annually to either hunt or fish. There have been quite a few fires in recent years, though some of those fires should start looking pretty green again this year. Not trees mind you but low scrub and grasses, which should be a good thing for moose. Lots of wolves, lots of bears but we do see moose for sure, all around Ootsa, Eutsuk, Tetachuk, Whitesail. If you have a boat it will open up lots of options for you in that area. If you're willing to charter Lakes District Air, Nick can put you at a lot of beauty little moose lakes in that region that you'll likely have all to yourself.
    Last edited by MattW; 06-15-2022 at 04:07 PM.