Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re: Can someone without a hunting license accompany a hunter during a hunt?

Re: Can someone without a hunting license accompany a hunter during a hunt?

Yes as long as he does not carry or use the rifle..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

As long as they are not aiding you to kill an animal they can do whatever they want, as could anyone else who enjoys a walk in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by blindcast View Post
    I think you'd best check that out with an email to MoE to show that you've done due diligence. The matter is open to a lot of interpretation and conjecture. I've come across situations where the act of helping to track an animal, helping to clean an animal and helping to carry out an animal, even providing the use of a vehicle--automobile or ATV--was construed as helping in the hunt and as such as hunting. Get an interpretation from someone at the ministry and you'll know what you can and can't do and if some CO decides on a different interpretation, he can whistle Dixie. With all due respect to the members of HBC, their/our advice will not stand in front of a judge. Just my two cents.
    While we're at it, lets get them to define "careless use/storage/transportation of firearm/ammunition" ... "reasonable amount of ammunition" and if elbows on the hood of a vehicle count as firing from a motor vehicle

Good call though. Definitely not legally binding (ie: people still get charged for careless transport / storage while following all the requirements listed on the RCMP website) but shows due diligence which judges appreciate. Horror stories like these give me the shivers: http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/leg...transport.html

Lets not confuse the issue. To simply have a person along for a ride while your hunting is OK. They are free to assist you in the recovery of any game you may shoot just not allowed to shoot the animal.

Hell they are allowed to plink at stumps or cans in the woods so long as the holder of the PAL is in close proximity.
    So long as they are not in contact with the firearm while in the act of hunting, they are just a spectator.

KISS "Keep it Simple Stupid" applies here, if we over think everything in the book, we'd likely never leave the house.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Very true Steeleco. I shouldn't have derailed and muddied the water with the last post. Common sense and following the regs as their written with a reasonable common sense interpretation results in 99% or greater effectiveness. Weird stuff can happen if you run into a LEO hell bent on finding something wrong but for the most part it's like being hit by a bus or having a tree fall on ya. In this case we know that we can't hunt without a license and hunting is defined very clearly, so OP should be just fine having someone tagging along for the ride as long as said company isn't actually hunting (ie: looking for animals with intent to kill, looking for animals while carrying a firearm)

I went out with my dad years before I ever got my license, never shot anything until I got my core and my pal, always helped spot the game and he did the rest of the work.

I appreciate everyones comments.
    And advise.
    Thanks

Of course he can who can stop yah and who says he can't?
    If anyone comes up to you in the bush and says you can't, tell em to mind their own dang bees wax -- unless it's a real C.O.
    -- I done that b4 and had no one ask ---
    Jel ( 200 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal ) Get real.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 07-23-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: I wanna see your badge

Quote Originally Posted by squamishhunter View Post
    How else to get new hunters introduced? I've taken lots of people out, and I'll do it again.
    It is called "initiation hunting licence" which does not require CORE and hunter number and costs about 20$. On the downside, initiation licence does not allow any bag limit, whatever is shot will go against accompanying hunter's bag limit or tag. Need to mention that under initiation licence there are requirements for accompanying hunter being of certain age and experience, and he/she cannot accompany more than two (I think) intiated hunters.