Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broad heads hitting high

Re: Broad heads hitting high

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I think a couple things I should have been more clear on, one is the broadheads progressively hit higher as I get further from the target, it's not just at 25 yards. Also my sight is a single pin slide adjustable unit so I would rather try my best to match my field point flight to my broadheads mainly so when I set it to say 40 yards I hit dead on at 40 yards, in previous years I've just compensated for the difference which works but is just not the ideal situation.
    I zipped my arrows through some paper and that checked out, I will try adjusting my rest this weekend and see where I sit.
    Shooter your suggestion makes good sense of how the fixed blades act like extra fletchings and recover from improper nock height quicker and thus adjusting my rest should dial me in........... I hope.

I will report back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OOBuck View Post
    90 yards? Really?

I can't imagine shooting anything out to 90 yards. Try aiming lower! LOL!!

First off you need a 20 yard pin set that first and work up from there, to a maximum of 60 yards please!!!! Broadheads HAVE to be "tuned"

I did find with the montec that I gain elevation with them as well, I switched to Grim Reaper 100 grains and it the first broad head I can honestly say
    you screw them on and your ready to rock!
    I only practice out to 90 yards so when I need to shoot out to 40 or 50 then it will feel like a chip shot. I would never shoot at an animal from that range.

Quote Originally Posted by Friday_30-06 View Post
    I only practice out to 90 yards so when I need to shoot out to 40 or 50 then it will feel like a chip shot. I would never shoot at an animal from that range.
    I practice that far as well, but once I get past 60 yards I switch from targets to ballons and I can pretty consistently hit 9/10 balloons at 90 yards. The 60 yrs shot is then really easy.

I would still suggest weighting everything. I thought I had 100gr field points once and when I ended up weighting them, they turned out to be 125gr.

If you have enough Kinetic energy, I would suggest mechanical broad heads. The same with speed, a single pin setup is not ideal if your arrow speed is below 300fps as the gap is to large and it increases your chance of missing due to yardage errors. I am able to keep my pin at 30yrds and I can hold centre of the chest from 15yrds to 42 yards if I find myself in a position that I cannot move my sight.

It's been a long time since I was into archery... but..

The difference in weight has not been established yet (not that I read anyway) and the fact that some broad heads can shoot differently than others.

There is no substitute for sighting in with what you are going to use.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Broadheads are usually longer than field points causing your arrows to be a bit weaker in spine causing them to leave the bow in a different manner if the bow isn't in perfect tune.

For the most part putting a broadhead on is like adding tiny wings. It is going to plane a very minimal amount and may cause the arrows to hit a little higher. 40 years is my go to range whenever I change anything 20 is to close but 40 seems to be the distance that errors will show. I just don't worry about it. At this time of year I set my bow to my broad heads and practice with field points. As long as your grouping them the. You know your still dead on.

I habe the the identical issue u have with my broadheads hitting 3 inches high at 40-50. Not a big deal. Just move your entire sight window up a hair and take some shot and called good. Don't stress
    It is what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    It's been a long time since I was into archery... but..

The difference in weight has not been established yet (not that I read anyway) and the fact that some broad heads can shoot differently than others.

There is no substitute for sighting in with what you are going to use.
    this.
    I know it isn't what most do.
    but really, it's the proper way to be accurate.
    field tips should really just be for farting around shooting arrows at targets to keep your form in tune, etc.
    I wouldn't want to be counting on a manufacturer's claim that "these broadheads should just like field-points" when a trophy buck is appearing.
    it's kinda crazy NOT to be sighting in with the exact broadheads you'll be using in the field.
    forget about what it's doing with field-points, sight it in with your hunting heads.

would you sight your gun in with cartridges that you don't plan on using?

To tune a bow for Broadheads, you adjust your rest. If your Broadheads hit high, drop the rest. Get your field tips and Broadheads hitting hole for hole, then adjust your sight back for zero.