Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broad heads hitting high

Hybrid View

Broad heads hitting high

So I am kind of stumped on this one, hopefully some of you more experienced archers can help me out.

I have my 100 grain field points dialed in all the way to 90 yards, if I set my pin to 90 I can hit dead on. I set it for 40 it hits dead on at 40. The problem is when I switch over to broad heads. Today I swapped over and at 25 yards I hit 3" high, thinking it was me I let another broad head fly and again 3" high. I swapped right back to field point and I was bang on. Why would this be?

Some specs, I'm shooting a 2009 Elite GT500 at 60 lb draw, 28" Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 3555 arrows. I haven't weighed them but I believe I calculated them to come in right around 360 grains. I am using 100 grain G5 Montecs on arrows that I fletched so the fletchings would line up exactly with the blades.

It seems like the broad heads would be lighter and that's why they would be flying high but I use the same arrow and go from 100 grain field points right to the montecs. I'm really stumped and am thinking of switching broad heads to see if that helps but before I drop some cash I thought I would check with the expert panel here.

One other thing to note is the left to right is the same from field point to broad head, no problem there.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Broad heads hitting high

Try raising ur string nock a very little bit.

Operator error....
    Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    well they aren't scissoring... so at least one is male

Just make sure you're 20 yards from the animal!

You didn't mention what rest you are using. But if it is adjustable then lower your rest about 1/16" and then shoot some field point/ broad head groups. This will cause your arrows to impact lower but will have more affect on your broad heads because of their "steering' ability. If not close enough then another 1/16" lower. It may take a few attempts to bring them together and you will have to gang adjust your sight or re-mark if you are using a slider.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    You didn't mention what rest you are using. But if it is adjustable then lowier your rest about 1/16" and then shoot some field point/ broad head groups. This will cause your arrows to impact lower but will have more affect on your broad heads because of their "steering' ability. If not close enough then another 1/16" lower. It may take a few attempts to bring them together and you will have to gang adjust your sight or re-mark if you are using a slider.
    Thanks for all the great advise other than you chopper, operator error is impossible, kidding of course.
    My rest is adjustable, it's a rip cord red drop away, I will try lowering this weekend and report back.
    I have spun test my arrows and they seem pretty good, close enough that at 25 yards I wouldn't expect that much difference.

Ian745 I'm shooting fixed blade G5 Montecs

Foxtail I'm out 3 inches at 25 yard not 40 otherwise I would be less concerned as well.

Have you spin tested the broad heads? But honestly, if you are 3" high at 40 yards that is almost bang on. If you were 8" high and left, or right, I would be worried.

could be the type of broad head?.. fixed or open on impact style?..i had the same thing, up slightly when switched to broadheads, switched to fixed version broadhead and boom, dead on.

They make a practice broad head the same as those, just dull. I had the same issue. Bought that, used it to sight in and practice, and was good to go. Use cheap foam blocks though, they destroy them.

Ambush is correct just make sure that your rest isn't hitting your shelf at the shot after you lower it. Also on that bow have you checked your cam sync and timing? More than likely a nock/rest height issue tho.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it