Thread: Now shooting with glasses

Now shooting with glasses

I made my first attempt since April to shoot with my glasses on last evening. Actually it was my first attempt since April to try and shoot. The previous attempt was the Chad Davis shoot in Abby. I shot without my glasses and the score reflected my inability to see.(and maybe lack of practice.)

I was talked into progressives by my wife and the optometrist in late February and that is a non-starter for shooting with a peep. You have to move your head up and down to line up the area of lens which will allows you to focus. I couldn't focus or center my bezel in the peep at anchor without moving my head. The disadvantages for archery are very apparent but it didn't occur to me at the time of purchase. I have since switched to bi-focals and can use the center of the lens to center my bezel and see the target with change of anchor.

Apparently you can get clarifying peeps to overcome the need for glasses when shooting but I haven't looked into this yet. The biggest obstacle I have had to overcome is the lack of confidence, as the change to glasses effected a great deal of what I had been doing the past 15 years. I finished on a positive so with practice form should return and I can be the mediocre archer I once was.
    For every person with a spark of genius............. there are a hundred with ignition trouble!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Now shooting with glasses

Just because of glasses I don't use a peep. At my anchor point I touch fetching on my chin kisser button and string on tip of my nose. Bigger sight window, faster target alignment. Still busting nocks at 50yds.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Use progressives for everything else

A pair of distance only glasses for shooting.

Contact lenses are the only thing I wear hunting and shooting.......waaaay better than glasses.......and you can even get progressive contact lenses that dont have the distortion and channel like glasses have. Takes a good Optician to fit them......

As most members know I am an Optician. In fact I teach Optics at a local college now. So feel free to post up or PM me any questions you might have

It's not for everyone but I have only heard good things about laser eye surgery...that is if your eyes qualify. Kind of a big "if" though.
    My brother in law took out a student loan just after high school to get this surgery and 15 yeas later still claims its the best way he could have spend the Money LOL

Good luck this season!

Good seeing you again Blk Arrow ! (An apropreate time for this Pun ) LOL
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Although I have excellent vision for distance, I need a corrective lens (+2.25) for reading. This was less than conducive for good handgun shooting.
    The moment that I brought the sights to line on the target, my eyes would instantly focus to the target. This resulted in crappy results.
    I saw one of my companion shooters using glasses so I asked about his. It turns out that he is similar to me. He had his shooting glasses made with the corrective lens but it is corrected for a focal length of 65cm. (The distance from his eye to the front sight when the arm is extended to the shooting position.)
    With this knowledge and a recent eye prescription, I went to the local Walmart optical department and had a pair made to my prescription at the same focal length. I just received them this week and have not been to the range to put them to an actual test, but preliminary tests at home give a positive result. I will give them the full meal deal this coming week.
    Now, with the aforementioned in mind. It would seem to me that this scenario would be identical to the focal distance of one's eye to the sight position on the bow riser.
    I chose Wallyworld because the cost to me was less than half the cost of what the optometrist was preparing to charge me. My cost was $225 inclusive.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    He had his shooting glasses made with the corrective lens but it is corrected for a focal length of 65cm. (The distance from his eye to the front sight when the arm is extended to the shooting position.)
    While this would be perfect for the front sight. Now the target will be blurry

Good to see you too Ken. I appreciate puns much; to my family's disgust.
    I'm happy to see the discussion this has generated. Does anyone have experience with clarifying peeps?
    Last edited by Blk Arrow; 09-06-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: grammer
    For every person with a spark of genius............. there are a hundred with ignition trouble!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    While this would be perfect for the front sight. Now the target will be blurry
    That is correct. Nobody's eyes can focus in 2 or more planes. Since the sights on a hand gun are in close proximity to each other, if the focus is placed on the front sight, then the rear sight is nearly in focus also. The idea is to have proper alignment of the sights. The front blade and the rear "horns" aligned across the top. You then "rest" the target, which is out of focus, on the top of the sights. The firearm, when sighted in properly, will be or should be sighted to the bullseye.
    The only other means is to scope or use some other single plane sight.
    An insight:
    http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter2.htm
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"