Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to waterfoul

new to waterfoul

As title says I'm new to waterfowl. I'm probably opening a can of worms but look for best choke and shell combo. I'm good with clay with my little mossburg but recently purchased a benelli super nova for hunting. Any suggestions and opinions are appreciated

2. Site Sponsor

Re: new to waterfoul

I also have the Benelli Super nova, it is stamped right on the full choke tube "no steel" so I would use the modified choke tube with ammo of your choice.

I use modified choke with 3in #3 or #4 for ducks, but most of my shots aren't close. Probably a less constricted choke and smaller shot for closer range.

It depends a lot on where you are going to be shooting, in the marsh or do you have access to a field? If going to the marsh I like to shoot #2s because you don't know what you will call in/jump. If shooting in a field and you can have a solid idea of what you will shoot (ducks or geese) I like to shoot #4s or BBs accordingly. Same goes for the choke. If you are set up fairly close an improved cylinder works well, but if shots may be a bit further a modified is great. If you are looking for an all around, this is what I use, then to me #2s with modified choke is the answer. As for shell brand, the importance of patterning your shotgun can not be over stated. Lots of great fowl hunters on here, hopefully on of them chimes in but that is my experience.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Mod choke always.
    I use a 28 year old 870 wingmaster 2-3/4.For ducks i use #4 over decoys 20-30 yard max. For fly bys and pass shooting i use #2. Geese I use bbb or bb.

Little trick for you if your shooting over decoys, throw in and chamber a #4. Then bottom feed another #4 then make your last shot a #2. That way if you come up to your last shot and missed your last shot is more set up for a farther shot

I have a supernova and have found that with the factory chokes shells around 1400 fps shoot better than 1550 fps. I am going to pattern it better this season just tried a couple cheapo loads end of last season on a piece of cardboard. Mostly shot 2 3/4 over decoys.

One of my young partners shoots a Nova. He shoots 1625 Kents #3 for ducks over decoys, same shell but # 2 for pass shooting and same for Geese in BB over deeks. he shoots either modified or a Pattern Master mid range choke. He is deadly with those combos, one of the best young gunners I have came across in over 50 yrs of waterfowling. When it comes to steel there is 1 thing to remember SPEED KILLS. Be patient, when the landing gear comes down it's killing time.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thanks you all this is very helpful. I have yet to even unbox. That's tomorrow after work. Please keep the info coming. I need to learn.

once you get your gun ,take it to a range and pattern your gun with different size shot. try different shells as well. our group shoot kent shells with good results .most of my guns pattern no 3 shot better then number 2 shot, if your going hunting both ducks and geese no 1 shot works well as in a big wind as well. for geese we all use bb. . hope this helps. keep in mind the words of the world renown waterfowler jim fox [ foxton gundogs] SPEED KILLS....fowl
    Last edited by fowl language; 07-21-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fowl language View Post
    once you get your gun ,take it to a range and pattern your gun with different size shot. try different shells as well. our group shoot kent shells with good results .most of my guns pattern no 3 shot better then number 2 shot, if your going hunting both ducks and geese no 1 shot works well as in a big wind as well. for geese we all use bb. . hope this helps. keep in mind the words of the world renown waterfowler jim fox [ foxton gundogs] SPEED KILLS....fowl
    And again who can explain to all the dead waterfowl that have fallen to my " cheapy Charlie" 1100fps. loads that you aren't really dead you stupid birds, you just think you are!!!!! Council new waterfowlers to follow the fundamentals of
    good decoy work and in your face shooting!! Not how fast the bloody load flies??? Smarten up you guys!!
    Jeeeze' get real???---Cheers---Field Marshal.