Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to waterfoul

Re: new to waterfoul

with my nova i use a modified choke for ducks. And then put my patternmaster goose code black I think it is. Kents work great for me. 3" #2 ducks, 3" BB geese.

I am going to try the federal prarie storms this weekend to see how they pattern compared to the kents.

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    And again who can explain to all the dead waterfowl that have fallen to my " cheapy Charlie" 1100fps. loads that you aren't really dead you stupid birds, you just think you are!!!!! Council new waterfowlers to follow the fundamentals of
    good decoy work and in your face shooting!! Not how fast the bloody load flies??? Smarten up you guys!!
    Jeeeze' get real???---Cheers---Field Marshal.
    What the heck are you shooting now Tony you old bog buster, I thought you were a "Cheap Red" guy like me and those fly at 1550. Did you find a new source of those old ACE shells Cambodia Tire used to sell. LMAO. Definitely Fowl is right on, patterning a new gun is very important, that's why I quoted what my young partner "2.0" shoots in his Nova instead of what I use in my Berettas, at least it gives him a place to start with his Nova. There is a LOT to be said for "in your face" shooting though, like I said, be patient when the landing gear comes down it's killing time.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 07-22-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

tony, I rather doubt that a new hunter will enjoy the same private hunting that you do on the island. on this side of the water we have way more hunters then you do over there which is more pressure on the birds, hence the birds are smarter here after opening day. I will not argue you shoot the cheapie Charlie shells very effectively but on very few occasions on this side of the water do we enjoy that luxury. later in the season it becomes increasingly harder to kill birds effectively with a lighter load because of the plumage increasing and the birds smartening up. I hope this helps you understand why we have suggested why we recommended a faster shell. this also eliminates trying to figure out longer leads with slower shells ,which will be a help....dale

Doesn't matter what loads I seem to use nothing is effective - even when the bird is 25 feet away!
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

I can't stress enough of pattern testing,,,,,,I pattern test on 15"x15" piece of paper,,,,that's just me,,,lots of people test on a 20"x20",,,,,,with my scattergun( mossberg 500) I got off lucky and am able to shoot the cheap 3" number 3s(Winchester super x) 85% pattern at 30 yards and 80% pattern with BBs at 30 yards using full choke,,,,,every gun shoots differently with different loads and chokes,,,,lucky for me I can get away with the cheap loads,,,,$15 from Walmart
    Aim small,,miss small

Could you go into the patterning of the shot gun a little more. I'm still not sure what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by biggyun68 View Post
    Doesn't matter what loads I seem to use nothing is effective - even when the bird is 25 feet away!
    sounds like we have something in common

biggyun, jim and I both fell in your case I believe you need to shoot a gun that is functional first and foremost. this generally helps your average....fowl

Rotflmao!:-d
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF