Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold gold ring 12-40x60 for sheep hunting

Leupold gold ring 12-40x60 for sheep hunting

With all the sheep threads lately the bug has bitten me but I will need a new spotting scope for the trip. Having never gone before so I'm Looking for advice on the leupold gold ring 12-40x60 spotting scope from the guys that have these. This is basically the best within my budget so these are my concerns before I make the purchase
    - is the 40x zoom enough for sheep hunting? Or should I go for a 60x model?
    - is the hd model worth the extra $300-$400?
    - how is the eye relief after long periods of use?
    ive gone to the stores and looked through all the brands that they have but it's such a hard decision, I can only tell the difference between the really crappy ones. All the decent name brands seem the same so looking for advice from guys that have used this spotter on the mountain where the differences show up?
    Last edited by Ry151; 08-30-2014 at 03:01 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Leupold gold ring 12-40x60 for sheep hunting

I was told the HD is an improvement in colour, not clarity.

Maybe important for photos but not so much for counting the rings on a potential ram.

Good luck. Spotting scopes are tough to choose.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Bought the HD version this spring. Very happy to say the least. Have looked over the local sheep, elk, goats and mulies here in the Okanagan from long distances and have no complaints. I never even considered not going HD.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

Havent looked at a lot of sheep through mine but i was able to put 8 rings on a smaller ram from over a mile last week. Have used it mostly for caribou hunting and its been spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticRed View Post
    Havent looked at a lot of sheep through mine but i was able to put 8 rings on a smaller ram from over a mile last week. Have used it mostly for caribou hunting and its been spectacular.
    That's actually impressive to me. Is yours the hd model or standard, just for curiosity.

choice spotter for many guides ,
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Mine is the standard one.

Hmm had one...front lens had no relief..so sun flare was an issue as was rear eye cup kept splitting...Leupold sent me several free replacements..pita..went tp Swaro
    My eyes like the HD..it sharper crisper image...
    Srupp

I picked up the non-hd model for this season. One successful Stone hunt with it already. Also used it for filming and pictures, turned out not bad. Very compact and light. It is not the best spotter on the market by far but it fit my budget and counted rings just fine. If you can afford twice as much I'd say step up to a Swarovski/leica but for just over 1k it's a good buy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I picked up the non-hd model for this season. One successful Stone hunt with it already. Also used it for filming and pictures, turned out not bad. Very compact and light. It is not the best spotter on the market by far but it fit my budget and counted rings just fine. If you can afford twice as much I'd say step up to a Swarovski/leica but for just over 1k it's a good buy IMO.
    Swarovski is to expensive for me at this point,besides I'd never want to use it in fear of wrecking it lol