Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires For My Cherokee

Re: Tires For My Cherokee

Another vote for the duratracs. I have rather large ones on my pickup with just over 30000. Very little wearing, road noise is barely audible, great in snow or mud, and I feel better about driving over rocky crap. Very popular tire in the peace country where trucks see lots of offroad and on road use. Have had nokians and nitto terra grapplers, prefer the duratracs hands down.

Coopers make a fine series of tires.

I have toyo m55 and love them so far

toyo mts or at2s

I think the 3 tires to take a close look at are the toyo m-55, the cooper discoverer st, and the Goodyear duratrac. Another that has had really good reviews is the dick cepeck fc-II.

Quote Originally Posted by I'd Rather Be Hunting View Post
    Kal Tire has a new tire out- Muteki Trail Hog. It's an off road tire that has the snowflake (like the Dura Trac) and can be used all year. And it's a little cheaper too.
    The smallest they come in is 265/75/16. He wants 235/75/15.

Your options are:

BFG Rugged Terrains A/T
    General Grabbers AT2
    BFG AT KO
    Cooper Discoverer ST (We run them on our zambonis before)
    Goodyear Duratracs (we currently run them on our zambonis)

Duratracs are very good for what they do but I am not a fan of them because I find the tires too soft (looking at the one on the zambonis) and people have complained that their tread life is poor compared to BFG AT KO. Plus, for the $$ to benefit, the BFG AT KO wins for me.

The toyo m55's are great but for something as light as a cherokee i wouldn't want E rated tires. My family's spare vehicle is a xterra which is about the same weight as your cherokee and we are running the toyo open country mt's and they are great in any conditions. The procomp xtreme all-terrains are really nice too, have a set on my f150.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Toyo M/T's. I have a few friends that's all they run.

You really need to say what kind of driving you are going to be doing.

Why do you want the snowflake?
    An A/T will perform better in snow than a M/T. If you just want the snowflake for ice, you can always sipe a M/T.
    Because the snowflake has to do with cold weather traction, the rubber will generally be softer meaning a quicker wearing tire - if longevity matters to you.

A M/T will kick an A/T's butt in mud, so what is your anticipated snow vs. mud time?
    Will you be driving on any loose rock/shale? Sidewall strength/tire ply will be important.

I find the BFG A/Ts to be a good tire, but not a value oriented tire. You pay a little extra $$$ for the name. If $$$ is no object it's still hard to beat the Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs (one level up from the Duratracs) after all these years. Kal Tire can usually get you into some decent slightly less known brands (less known, not necessarily 2nd tier) - I've always found their sales staff to be knowledgeable.

Me.

Take a good look at the reviews for Cooper AT3. I've run BFG AT's on my 1996 Tacoma 4WD, Cooper AT's. I now drive a 99 4Runner. I started with the Michelin LTX M/S which were useless on anything other than paved and graded gravel roads. Next up was a used pair of Nitto Terra Grapplers; I was not impressed, and based on other reviews, I won't try them again. I now have 2000km on the Cooper AT3's in a LT load range E. I highly recommend them, although not in a E rating for your Cherokee. First trip home from the coast was in monsoon rains. Tons of standing water on the highways, with no hydroplaning at hightway speeds. They grip well in the dry (but everything does), and clear mud well. They do pick up rocks a bit on the FSR's, but show very little wandering and hook up in off road 4Low situations really well. As a compromise between a MT tire and an AT tire, they are the best I've found.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910