Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipitent

Re: Tipitent

Hi Dirty,
    The guy offered me the large tent the ''Out fitter'' for 800 taxes included non show price would be 899 plus tax/shipping.The setup is simple and the waterproofing is suppose to be the best around.
    specs
    total weight including tentpole and tent pegs :14 kg (30lbs)
    packing size 100cm x 25 cm
    floor area 25 sq metres (269 sq ft)
    tent pole height 350 cm (11'5")
    tent pole weight 2 kg (5lbs)

Looks Sweet! Not that bad of a price when you consider what some wall tents go for.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

For more info
    www.tipitent.com

I think I would go with a wall tent that covers the same ground area. More head room near tyhe walls and more room to hang gear. I think he's overly optimistic in the number of people he can sleep in his tents by about X2.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

It would be pretty tight in there with more than 4 and even then it would be cozy. I thought the larger one would be very comfortable for 2 people, which is the max I ever have anyway. Most of the time, it's just me and my dog. For one person, I think the set up of the tipi would be easier than a wall tent.

Quote Originally Posted by johnes50
    I think I would go with a wall tent that covers the same ground area. More head room near tyhe walls and more room to hang gear. I think he's overly optimistic in the number of people he can sleep in his tents by about X2.
    I agree, only way to get the numbers in there they claim would be doubled up "Brokeback" style....

I dunno know about the "open fire" in the middle either........at least not if Dana's tending to it !

Actually though they do look interesting...but given the weights you mentioned it's not something you'd be backpacking anywhere I'd go with a Walltent, far more Practical.

I saw them at the show and thought the looked OK. One drawback is they are not breathable like a canvas wall tent. I imagine condensation could be an issue. I asked one of the reps there and they said no problem, it just drips down the side anyway, and when you have the woodstove going, it takes all the moisture out in no time. I guess as long as you don't store any gear near the wall, no problem.

Seems like a lot of money for a nylon tent though.

Well I went back today and bought the Outfitter Tipitent and the guy gave me a really good deal.Ill keep you guys updated after I try it out. And Rick just make sure your guy lines are secure on your 5'' version of the Tipitent.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGHUNTERFISH
    Well I went back today and bought the Outfitter Tipitent and the guy gave me a really good deal.Ill keep you guys updated after I try it out. And Rick just make sure your guy lines are secure on your 5'' version of the Tipitent.
    Well Congrats..they do look interesting...definately give a Field report when you try it out

5" Version ???......Maybe if it's doubled over in the wind

I bought one just after last years show. Have been in it at least 3 times-once for 2 weeks. Sets up in 10min and then some adjustment. High winds and downpour no problem. Room for 3 big guys and cots and stove and lots of gear. Bought a stove at the show today-Little Hot Shot. My hunting buddies are in love. Warm and dry works for me-no more canvas. Much heavier material than all the rest of the tents we could find on the net. The price is hard to beat too especially compared to a canvas wall tent.They come with 2 caps-one mesh and one solid. Condensation is an issue if you do not open up the top as in any nylon tent-at least this one has an adjustable vent. Sleeps 4 with cots no problem.
    Last edited by bogie; 03-04-2007 at 10:47 PM.