Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tipitent

Re: Tipitent

Does anybody have any more experience with these TipiTents? The good and the bad......
    I don't usually talk to Trudeau supporters, but when I do, I usually order fries.

"Society is degenerating at a rapid pace. Humans are being socially engineered at a global level. Everything is about identity politics and feelings. Critical thinking is rare." caddisguy

A lot of cool guys when I looked through this thread, been years since I seen those names! Good luck on your tent
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I don't have much experience with the big basecamp style tipis but I do have a Kifaru 6 man tipi for backpacking. I've had it for 10 years now. I love it.

Have a 12 man from Kifaru, awesome for river boating, or truck camping, also have the large stove.
    Had this one for 15 yrs now,have had to sew up the screen on the doors in a few places, no big deal, also found out that june bugs like to chew holes in the fabric,,FU@#ers
    Only drawback is the condensation, but you will get that with most of these style of tents.
    Sure are nice when the stove is going.
    Going to try and make a smaller one.
    Lots of good info on utube,on making one.
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

Ruffed, I have one I'm looking to offload if your looking to buy

I have one for sale CHEAP!
    Hell of a long stove pipe, sparks still rained down and put a bunch of tiny holes in that nylon/polyester whatever type fabric. Looks like your seeing stars when sleeping inside. The small holes don't seem to let the water in though and we were in a monsone (hell of a rain storm).
    It is the large one, lots of room for 4 guys and all their gear.
    All those little holes could be easily patched up. Only used it for one week, going to go with a wall tent.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    I have one for sale CHEAP!
    Hell of a long stove pipe, sparks still rained down and put a bunch of tiny holes in that nylon/polyester whatever type fabric. Looks like your seeing stars when sleeping inside. The small holes don't seem to let the water in though and we were in a monsone (hell of a rain storm).
    It is the large one, lots of room for 4 guys and all their gear.
    All those little holes could be easily patched up. Only used it for one week, going to go with a wall tent.
    what tipi is it and what is included and how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Camomutt View Post
    Ruffed, I have one I'm looking to offload if your looking to buy

details and price please?

thanks!!

Some pros and cons of the Tipi Tent:

Cons: The long stove pipe required.
    No windows, dark during the day.
    Lots of ropes, lots of tangles.
    Requires many tent pegs.
    Door is a little awkward getting in and out.
    Material is not flame ******ant, easily ripped.

Pros: lightweight.
    Only one pole.
    Can have open fire.
    One person can set up.
    Cost less than wall tent.

Improvements: Chimney hole in side of Tipi eliminating 20 feet of chimney.
    Windows, for daytime light and hot weather comfort.
    Door with "L" shaped zipper so can open wider for easier access.
    Vestibule over door to keep rain/snow from falling in open door.

A real Tipi has the disadvantage of having to carry all the long 20 to 30 foot poles, but once up a liner can be tied to the inside of the poles which creates an upward draft as it goes all the way to the ground and the outside skin stays a couple of inches off the ground, allowing air to circulate up wards drawing out the smoke from an open fire.

A wall tent has easier access and usually a covered porch entrance area. More usable footprint area, walls are straight up so can sit close to wall, slanted wall of Tipi forces you to sit further in towards center.
    "BAKER" tent (my favorite) has one wall that can be totally opened up so you only have walls on three sides allowing you to be under shelter with the fire going and still be able to feel like your outside. Come night the two flaps close in to create a wall tent environment. Better Bakers also have an awning that can also be dropped down.

MooseMilk, you have to clear some space so that you can receive messages....Call me...thanks...
    I don't usually talk to Trudeau supporters, but when I do, I usually order fries.

"Society is degenerating at a rapid pace. Humans are being socially engineered at a global level. Everything is about identity politics and feelings. Critical thinking is rare." caddisguy