Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brush axe (Swedish) use one?

Brush axe (Swedish) use one?

Does anyone here use a surveyors brush axe? They apparently work great for cutting trail. I'm thinking of getting one. Google images if you don't know what Im talking about. Also, which style of brush axe works best is my question.

Apparently way better than a machete.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Brush axe (Swedish) use one?

i have a problem, everytime I see a sweade saw at a garage sale or used I have to buy it, I own 4 or 5 of them, they work great and I think everyone needs to have one in the quad

Had to google brush axe to see for sure what you meant. We just called them sandviks, kind of like Kleenex. As a surveyor building the rail road in to tumber ridge around 1980 for hand tools we had the choice of machetes, sandviks and 2 1/2 pound boys's axes. Spent maybe an hour with a machete (sp?) Months on end daily with the axe needing to pound stakes in but found the brush axe you speak of the most usefull hand tool for clearing brush for survey lines, helicopter pads, etc.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Yep, they work pretty good. Pick one up and give it a try, you'll like them. I still prefer my 24'' machete and my ox-head axe though, can do a lot more using both.

they work great, hacked many a mile through salal just for fun
    Eat your dessert first.

buy a Gransfors Brurks hunter axe or forest axe and don't bother playing with toys. Its a real tool that will last a lifetime and hold an edge almost as long.

I can't see that being better than a machete. I've cut a lot of trail in Costa Rica and bc. Can't see getting through black berries with the Swedish axe if that pic is accurate. I can cut through a 4" alder with a single swipe with a well sharpened machete.

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    buy a Gransfors Brurks hunter axe or forest axe and don't bother playing with toys. Its a real tool that will last a lifetime and hold an edge almost as long.
    Is that good for clearing alders from an old road?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I always use them. You wont be disappointed

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

[QUOTE]Is that good for clearing alders from an old road? [/QUOTE
    If they are small saplings not so great. 3" or bigger the way to go.