Thread: May need to retire my gun dog

Threaded View

May need to retire my gun dog

So, a couple weeks ago I finally found out from the vet what was wrong with Angus, my nearly nine year old lab. For a month or so he seemed to be having some difficulty with his mouth or throat. He was swallowing a lot, like he had something in his throat, and he seemed to be breathing harder than normal after exercise. Had him checked out, and after a couple trips back to the vet it turns out the poor guy has a mild form of Laryngeal Paralysis. Basically, the nerves that control the muscles that open and close the cartilage over his windpipe aren't functioning properly, so it restricts his breathing.

(compliments of Dano)

Fortunately, its a mild case and we're in a "keep an eye on it" mode and keep his activity low especially in warm weather. So, I'll see how he is in the fall, but I'm leaning towards retirement.

Surgery is an option. They tie back the cartilage on one side to keep the airway open, and I will go this route if things get worse, just to make him more comfortable. One complication of the surgery is that the airway is now partially open permanently and he could potentially drown by taking in water, or to a lesser extent, get pneumonia by inhaling food or water. So, that's the main reason for considering retirement. Though, I guess upland and field work is an option instead of work over water, if we get his breathing corrected.

A tough call to make, but ya gotta do what's right for your pal.

Just wondering if anyone else had the unfortunate circumstance of running into this as well with their dog, if they had the surgery, and how did it turn out ?

Thanks,
    Terry
    Last edited by Angus; 07-03-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

2. Site Sponsor